ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 396 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
gfretwell #192734 02/27/10 09:23 PM
S
Plastic box, Cutler Hammer Breaker, no room overhead without cutting ceiling joist in to for MC cable, ohm check ok with no readings between neutral and ground, or hot to ground or hot to neutral. Once I take the wire loose from the circuit the breaker holds. The breaker I switched to test it was a 15 amp AFCI and done the same way. No way the contractors going to tear down the wall blush When I fished the new wire down the wall, it tore some of the insulation off the "pull" wire, but I didn't see any "nicks" in the conductors. The inspector told me a few months ago, they may change the rule for AFCI's again that would only include the bedrooms again. I may have to let it fall under that wink

sparkync #192760 03/02/10 02:35 PM
S
Does the AFCI trip when anything else is plugged into that receptacle, or just the wet/dry vac? Does it trip when the wet/dry vac is plugged in, or turned on?

If the cable was nicked and seeing a parallel short, it should be arcing as soon as the circuit is energized; plugging something in wouldn't make a difference. I don't think the cable is your problem. AFCIs aren't supposed to trip on series shorts, either, but it wouldn't hurt to double-check the wirenuts and other splices.

First, though, I'd replace this receptacle, regardless of how it tests. My gut feeling is there's crap loose in this receptacle and it's shorting out when you plug your wet/dry vac in.

SteveFehr #192767 03/02/10 08:28 PM
Steve:

You said.."If the cable was nicked and seeing a parallel short, it should be arcing as soon as the circuit is energized; plugging something in wouldn't make a difference. I don't think the cable is your problem. AFCIs aren't supposed to trip on series shorts, either, but it wouldn't hurt to double-check the wirenuts and other splices."

I'm under the understanding that a combo AFCI sees series and parallel faults, hence the 'combo' designation. I don't profess to be an AFCI maven as AFCI are 'new' here in NJ as of 10/6/2009, and resi is still slow. I garnered my info from various mfg sites & info, and from a lot of guys here that have AFCI experience.

John
HotLine1 #192813 03/04/10 04:53 AM
Broom Pusher and
sparkync,

That is a real heard scratcher of an issue!!! bash dunno confused

Keep us informed on the progress.

I cannot think of anything, not already covered so far, which could be tried.

Does the AFCI Breaker trip if another type of load is plugged in to the Receptacle in question? (other than the Wet Vacuum Sweeper).

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
HotLine1 #192818 03/04/10 03:28 PM
S
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Steve:

You said.."If the cable was nicked and seeing a parallel short, it should be arcing as soon as the circuit is energized; plugging something in wouldn't make a difference. I don't think the cable is your problem. AFCIs aren't supposed to trip on series shorts, either, but it wouldn't hurt to double-check the wirenuts and other splices."

I'm under the understanding that a combo AFCI sees series and parallel faults, hence the 'combo' designation. I don't profess to be an AFCI maven as AFCI are 'new' here in NJ as of 10/6/2009, and resi is still slow. I garnered my info from various mfg sites & info, and from a lot of guys here that have AFCI experience.

To create a series fault, you'd have to not only nick the wire, but actually break it. I think you'd have noticed this during installation.

Have you checked the tightness of the breaker and neutral terminals in the panel? And other connection points? An untightened terminal with nothing but the spring tension of the wire can cause arcing that might trip it.

SteveFehr #192819 03/04/10 05:57 PM
G
Did you try a GFCI breaker as a test?
That will decide whether this is an arc fault or a ground fault.

Greg Fretwell
sparkync #192821 03/04/10 07:53 PM
K
Originally Posted by sparkync
Got to be something in that wall that is snagging the wire as it goes down or something they haven't discovered yet that's in the fireplace that triggers the AFCI's

I never even noticed this comment until now.
Are you saying that the last NM cable out of this device box is also supplying a gas log fireplace?
If so, does the fireplace have a variable speed universal blower motor mounted below it?
Or possibly an electronic ignition module?
If so, then that may be the problem. Either that or the wiring in the gas log itself could have a problem.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard