ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
I'm looking for retractable cord reels that can be hard-wired to overcome the restriction on extension cords used as permanent wiring. These are to be installed on the ceiling of science labs.

Anybody ever seen such an animal or have any other suggestions for a retractable reel?

Thanks

Ryan

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Check out WW Grainger. I think it's www.grainger.com

McGill is one mfg that I have installed, and there are others.

Last edited by HotLine1; 02/23/10 09:47 PM.

John
H
John,

Those McGill retractable worked very well. I used them for block heater in fire engines. We mounted them to the ceiling and used steel cables to restrict the movement of the retractable cords. Sometimes firemen get excited when they are going to fires and forget to unplug the engine block heaters. smile

G
Appleton Electric sells some nice ones, too.

Ghost307
M
If a cord is permanently wired, is it an extension cord? I don't think so. Are pendants not allowed? Why can't receptacles be installed on the lab stations?
There are lots of good reasons to use a pendant rather than a desk top receptacle. Maybe the equipment cannot be fixed in place, the trucks would break a floor plug. No wall to install a receptacle.

I assume the NEC has rules governing the use of pendant receptacles which are not considered to be extension cords as 1 end is hard wired. CEC answer in an NEC forum.

G
"Retractable" is a word that doesn't appear in the NEC so I guess we would call these a pendant receptacle.
I assume if it is a listed assembly, installed per the instructions, all of the rules are covered. (cord type, attachment, strain relief etc).
I do understand the technical violation posed by this being cord and plug connected but in the grand scheme of things it is not something I would go out of my way to cite. I assume it is the fire marshal who is doing this. They are usually the "extension cord police" although the concern may be misplaced in this case. The attachment to the branch circuit is not where the hazard lies, all other things being equal (same reel, cord and receptacle).

Greg Fretwell
Seems like WWG deleted the 'better' quality versions upon a quick look in the catalog just now.

A decent electrical supply house should be able to get McGill & Appleton, or a similar brand.

John
W
Hannay is another manufacturer of cord reels.

Link Copied to Clipboard