ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Here in NJ if you don't like what the AHJ says, you can always take him in front of the Construction Board of Appeals. They meet every month (Usually in the county seat or court house) and you can present your case. You can represent yourself and you don't need a lawyer or nothing. There are 5 members on the board and they represent each trade. (Fire, Electric, building and plumbing)There also are special members that sit on the board when cases like escrow come up. The board can either agree with the contractor or the AHJ.

The Board of Appeals is something that I (IMHO) refer to as a last resort. It is a good system, but it has some drawbacks; a fee is required, there is a time lapse to get on the schedule. The sessions are monthly, but dependent on the locality, you may have two or three sessions 'booked', and you have to wait.

Personally, a discussion with the Electrical Subcode Official, and the Construction Official should be a starting point, and usually the situation can be resolved there.

A quick comment from my memory bank... quite a while back, I failed a rough on a bath remodel; outlet box not bonded. It was a gray plastic old work box! After attempting to explain to the Inspector twice (with two more red stickers), I finally drilled & tapped a bonding screw in the box to get a 'pass'.

John
H
John,

You are correct that the CBOA is the last resort. Most times the EC will just do what the AHJ wants to keep the job moving. However sometimes the AHJ is just way out there in his request. They won't even quote you a code section when they fail you.

T
twh Offline
I had an inspector tell me that 90.2 amps is not greater than 90 amps. The same inspector told another electrician that the top of an MCC wasn't rated for grounding conduit and needed to be replaced with a 1/8" plate of steel.

I'm removing the "sticky" status of this thread.
If there is that many posters to it, it will stay on top.

H
I just heard another good one this morning. The EC was told by the AHJ that the dryer wasn't Arc Fault. The EC asked the AHJ, why? It doesn't need to be Arc Fault protected. The AHJ's response was I want the 240 volt dryer on an AFCI breaker!

Go figure.

Harold:

Where do you find this stuff???

John
Y
You think inspectors got some funny ideas! you otta see what the Electrical contractors come up with!!

L
Originally Posted by Yoopersup
You think inspectors got some funny ideas! you otta see what the Electrical contractors come up with!!

Waiting with 'baited breath'.

H
John,

Believe me, I ain't making this stuff up! I swear! smile I get these kinds of questions all the time. I stop in at my old supply house at least once o month to chat with the guts and pick up a few things. The EC's come up to me and ask me all of these questions.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard