ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Had one where I installed 4/0 SER that I had to a 150 panel. Inspector said I had to install a smaller cable as the panel could not take all the power the 4/0 could supply. I asked why the main breaker in the panel wouldn't trip if it was drawing that much. He said "I will let it go this time".

Same job he said I had the grounds from the water line and rod reversed in the disconnect. I asked what difference did it make. He said he did not want the fault current going thru the buss, it wasn't rated for that much current.

G
The only problem I might see with the 4/0 in a 150a panel is the main bonding jumper (typically a #10 screw) might not be rated for the available fault current you could get from a 4/0. You would be thrown back to the listing info on the panel. Does it limit the service conductor size?
As a quick sanity check
Will a 4/0 fit in the lugs without cutting off strands?

Greg Fretwell
J
The bond screw is the same for the 100, 150 and 200 amp Square D panels. This panel also had a 150 disco ahead of it too. Yes, the 4/0 fit in the lugs without modification.

G
I was thinking copper but I assume you mean aluminum.

It was really just the only rationalization I could make for the "too big" problem.

Greg Fretwell
H
Here in northern NJ we have a couple of real crazy inspectors. I hear it from the contractors. There was one inspector who made everyone run a #6 wire from the service to the well casing even though there was an equipment grounding conductor in the feed to the well wiring. Most of the times the EC will do what the AHJ wants because it is a cheap fix and it keeps the job going. The reason I got my inspectors lic. was because of some of those crazy inspectors.

Here in New Jersey we have the UCC. Uniform Construction Code, aka "5:23 et al".
That is supposed to make the 'codes' the same statewide!

A while back, I heard/read that the Commonwealth of Pa. was going to adopt a similar system, and have 'Commonwealth' certification/licensure of Electrical Inspectors. I have not heard/read anymore recently, and wonder if this ever happened.

That said, I still hear a few comments from the EC's regarding inspectors, and procedures in other towns. It is nowhere as bad as it used to be years back.

I have to agree in part what Harold says above, the 'odd' rules used to annoy me as an EC, and 99% of the time I also 'did it' to move the job along. Our appeal process can take 60 days....and a lot longer.

John
G
Florida has a unified building code with no local options and state inspector licensing but that does not stop a local spin on what the code says.

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by FountainGuy
Absolutely no disrespect to Inspectors, but is there a blog or a list of crazy interpretations from inspectors out there?

Yes but we keep it hidden. Next question. =)

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Greg:

Yes, the 'interpertation' of the code leaves a lot to be desired, especially when there are 'major changes' (my words).

Controversey regarding AFCI's (as you can see in Harold's commentary) causes me to LMAO, scratch my head, and wonder what ever happened to common sense.

The various association meetings/discussions usually turns into lively debates on 'what the words mean', and 'how "I" read it', and reference to 'what the guy in the adjacent town "likes"'! It amazes me that three people can read something that is basically cut & dry, and define it in two or three opinions.

Another situation exists when an EC contacts the State DCA to get an 'opinion' regarding a NEC interpertation from a local AHJ. The person at the DCA provides his/her 'opinion' verbally upon hearing the EC's comments. What that boils down to is 'an opinion'; and unless it is presented in a written formt as outlined within our UCC, all it is, is an 'opinion'. It is still the local AHJ's approval that is required, and his/her choice to accept the 'opinion' of the State.

John
Tom Offline
One city inspector (who is no longer there) once asked for a 3rd ground rod to be driven. The reason? Installer used PVC between the meter & the service disconnect, thereby avoiding the need for a grounding bushing. Inspector knew there was supposed to be a grounding bushing installed and since there wasn't, the third ground rod made up for it.

Needless to say, in our state, there are no requirements to be an inspector for a municipality, if the city puts you in that job, you're "qualified."

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard