ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 560 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
I couldn't help reminiscing on this topic. I can remember back when I was just a young tater tot in the early 1970's, the sense of sudden urgency instilled by our slightly hippie math teacher that "the metric system is coming... the metric system is coming... get ready... learn it now or you'll be left behind"

Seems that after a couple of months or so, the fury just sort of died down.
Now here it is, close to 40-years later and we still have to buy both individual Metric and SAE tool sets or combination sets of every type open end, box, combination wrench, socket, hex head wrench, tap and die ever known to man.

I think it's relatively safe to assume that by now we've all pretty much become accustomed to it and it just seems natural, almost expected to see many types of equipment using both Metric and SAE fasteners.
In retrospect, it could probably be seen as a brilliant marketing strategy by the tool and die manufactures. grin

G
The only ones who embraced metric right away were the liquor distributors. A "fifth" of whiskey became a 750ml, just a little smaller don't you know.

Greg Fretwell
R
Never thought to much about it just picked the "big" bottle

When I was at Polytech, doing the first of many "Block Courses" during my apprenticeship, I had an English engineering tutor, that spoke only in Imperial.
That was OK, you could easily convert to metrics, with what he was saying.
That was until we started using machine tools like a lathe.

Now, a lot of you Electrical guys might be asking, why on earth is an electrical apprentice, being taught "mechanical engineering" stuff?

Simple answer is, so that you are aware of what other trades are doing.
Lathe work and other such engineering skills are great to have, it makes you more employable as a staff member.

If you ever get the chance to have a go at or be taught engineering fabrication, grasp it with both hands and take it.
A person that is only taught one trade, is pretty much stuck in that trade and within it's boundaries.
And to a certain degree, it's "wage value"
The more you can do, the more you'll earn.

{Greg, sorry to take this off-topic from Metrics}

G
That's OK
I have always seen the value in having a lot of cards in my wallet. In an environment like this, the more you can do, the better chance you have of finding someone to pay you to do it.

Back on topic, I showed the tile guys my metric trick today when they were trying to center up a section of tile and doing some complex math with 1/8th and 1/16th inches. The fact that the tile was metric to start with made it a lot easier. They used my fat max and say they are buying a tape with metrics on it.

Greg Fretwell
S
I do engineering calculations almost exclusively in metric. I'll convert imperial to metric, do the calcs, and convert back. But I just can't "think" in metric as far as estimations, go. You say 70F and I know what you're talking about; you say 20C or 120kph and I have to mentally convert to F or mph.

T
Well that's just what you're used to or not - for me it's the same the other way round. Unless people cling to something because it has always been that way and is regarded as a valued tradition, changeover could happen within a generation when kids are taught "the other way" at school.

F
@Trumpy, when I went through my apprenticeship in the late 80's, the first year we were sent to a trade school. The first 6 months where spent rotating through all the trades to learn the basics. Welding, milling, sheetmetal etc.. When I went back to my employers, we where expected to build any brackets, boxes etc we needed to do our electrical work. I still use them skills and enjoy the hands on aspect.

Back on topic, when I left England to come stateside, I had the fun of learning imperial measurements, and boy do I understand fractions better too smile

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard