ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#192342 02/09/10 05:22 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
For those of you that use Photo-Bucket to store pictures, be aware of a virus that has struck a LOT of users there.

When browsing the site, a legitimate looking window may pop up, telling you that your computer is infected with a virus and the only way for you to remove it is by running a program that you start by clicking on a radio button in the window.
If you have something like this happen to you, DO NOT click that button, it will download a very nasty virus onto your computer that is nearly impossible to remove.

Now, I'm not saying that anyone here would be that gullible, but some of this spam and phishing stuff is getting really hard to tell from the real stuff. mad

T
twh Offline
Are you saying that Photo-Bucket downloads WindowsME onto your computer?

G
Be careful how you close these popups too. Clicking the "X" in that window may be the same as clicking "yes".
Safest, if you suspect a problem, is to close the browser.
A month or so ago I got that kind of nasty virus and it took a format/reload to get rid of it. McAffe was useless and none of the scanner/removers I could find would remove it.
The bug intercepted any system calls to Windoze so you couldn't get to command prompt, regedit, restore point or the normal remedies.

Greg Fretwell
Macafee... laugh that program is a joke
if you guys want to be protected, go out and download Avira free version, or Avast, and to also get Malwarebytes anti malware, i run those 2 programs, and will stand by them. also if you guys are running firefox, i suggest you guys get adblock plus, it takes about 3 mins to setup, and will help remove all of those ads from your browser

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
P
I've encountered that message myself, click on a link and that stupid virus warning pops up unexpectedly. Thank you avast for blocking it. Web browers will also redflag the web address that belongs to attack site the warning originated from and alert you about the site. If it's one that isn't redflagged by the browser and you know it's an attack site then you can report it to the bowser designers and they'll check it out and put on the bad list.

I have a sense of adventure, I just keep it leashed with common sense.

Link Copied to Clipboard