ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 81 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#19233 12/22/02 09:32 AM
M
MJR Offline OP
I was asked to bid on a new service panel for an existing mobile home to replace several older fuse boxes (see related post in Code forum). When I went to inspect the job, I found a lot more wrong than just needing to replace the fuses. For example, the meter and service equipment is falling off the nearby utility pole, there are several non-GFCI outlets (without covers) installed on the pole, the feeder to the trailer is an overhead drop triplex to a pole behind the trailer and the wires (although in good shape) touch the top of a roof that was added later... you get the picture. The RIGHT was to proceed would be for me to rip everything out and start over again, but the customer is getting HUD money to pay for the repair and can't afford the rest of the work.
My question is, would you just go in and fix what was requested as best as you could, knowing that it would be better than when you first got there, or would you turn down the job? Or possibly there's another opinion I haven't considered?
Thanks!

#19234 12/22/02 09:48 AM
S
MJR,
you and i as lowly EC's cannot continually take up the slack where the powers that be fail us and make a living too.

#19235 12/22/02 01:15 PM
S
This is a perfect question for Virgil.
Scott

#19236 12/22/02 01:22 PM
Ah, yes, welcome to my world!

It's always a tough call, but like Steve said, be careful not to put the weight of the world on your shoulders.

-trying hard to practice what I preach.

-Virgil

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#19237 12/22/02 04:41 PM
R
Well this lead to a good inspectors question!!!!!!

If you did just what you were paid for...
Would an inspector site the "home" owner for other violations while vsiting your work ???

As you required to tell th owners this...

You might cause the whole place to be condemed for violations!!!!

[This message has been edited by RandyO (edited 12-22-2002).]

#19238 12/22/02 05:21 PM
S
RandyO,
most inspectors i deal with put thier pants on one leg at a time as i do.

i've led many through slums here that i would'nt let my dog live in, forget people

they can only operate to certain boundries, the slumlords know it, and are just as frustrated

some situations have degraded so badly that simple lifesafety issues ( NFPA 101) is cited as the fix, $ for $ it is probably a prudent call with these sorts...

the only other avenue here is the Fire Marshal, the state has apparently granted them 'teeth' of considerable caliber

late month i ratted out one absolutley ignorant raise-the-hair-on-yer-neck slum to the fire marshal......

.......yep it was that bad

#19239 12/23/02 02:20 AM
MJR,
I would quote, to fix up the whole damned thing, sure I might lose out, but then it becomes some-one elses problem, lose no sleep.
Bring it up to Code standard, you are in the same boat, no sleep lost.
Do it once, do it properly. [Linked Image]

#19240 12/24/02 02:13 AM
N
MJR
Write up an estimate to fix the whole mess. Include a letter describing the non code and unsafe items that were not asked for origionally.
Have your customer take letter and estimate to HUD to see if they will pay for the work.
Also inform them that if all code and safety items are not to be included and fixed as part of this work, the will have to find some one else. Your reason is insurance and legal liability.
Yes you could do part of the job and have it clearly stated in a proposal/contract what you will do and be responsible for. But if anything goes wrong, this the type of job that lawyers love.

ed
#19241 12/24/02 12:04 PM
C
Sorry guys whats "HUD" money?

#19242 12/24/02 01:25 PM
B
Hi Canadian buddy,

HUD is the Department of Housing and Urban Development. They give out money for people on welfare, grants for people redeveloping decrepeted urban landscapes, or purchase housing that has forcloused and sell it cheaper to the city it's in for housing.

Off topic but interesting enough--At one point New York City was funding their Gun Buyback program in the 1997-98 using HUD funding claiming the Urban Development emphasis.

[This message has been edited by BurnOut (edited 12-24-2002).]

Link Copied to Clipboard