ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#192333 02/08/10 06:42 PM
H
Haligan Offline OP
The Scene:
Old work bathroom remodel. GC has it down to the studs.
I'm keeping the existing circuit for lights and fan. 12/2 NM, no grounding
I've pulled a homerun 20a for receps.

How to ground the lights and fan?
A. There's a bare 14ga conductor that was bonding all of the old metal boxes. It is clamped with a grounding electrode to the bathroom's water pipe. This wire then continues off to other parts of the house. I could tap into this. But! Code says bonding to water pipe has to be 5' from source. This seems like a 'better than nothing' option. My least favorite so far.

B. Connect to the grounding of the new 20a circuit. This goes back to the panel and straight to the rod. Problem- I scoured the code and couldn't find an allowance for this.

C. Connect a new electrode and ground the lights and fan to the water pipe.

D. Run 12ga grounding wire all the way back to the panel. This is okay code wise, but raises some new issues.

What's best here?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

J
Since you are down to the studs I would think that a new lighting circuit should be run.

I tend to agree with Jim M.
You may want to run your list of options past the local AHJ, as he is the one to accept or reject your choice(s).

John
G
Best practice would be to run a new wire. Your ideas of using the water pipe, even with another rod, won't work unless you bond back to the existing ground electrode system.
You could share the EGC of the new receptacle circuit you have run but you do have to worry about protecting the wire you run. I would ask if your AHJ is OK with just stringing a THHN over to the receptacle box

250.120(C) Equipment Grounding Conductors Smaller Than 6 AWG. Equipment grounding conductors smaller than 6 AWG shall be protected from physical damage by a raceway or cable armor except where run in hollow spaces of walls or partitions, where not subject to physical damage, or where protected from physical damage.

Greg Fretwell
G
Guess I'm trying to figure out why anything has to be done with existing. But if you insist on doing something, item D. is the only one that meets code.

George Little
G
I was just trying to let safety trump a technical violation (extending the EGC from an existing circuit of sufficient size). I would rather have a ground than not.

Greg Fretwell
G
I guess I agree with you Greg and I would add, another option would be to wire the fan and lights in the bathroom on the new receptacle circuit. As long as he didn't extend to anything beyond the one bathroom, he'd have not only grounding but GFCI protection ta boot.

George Little
H
Haligan Offline OP
George- I'm liking 210.11(C)3. The lights and the fan sum up to less than 1amp. Plenty of leftover on the 20a dedicated.

Thanks all

R
Originally Posted by George Little
Guess I'm trying to figure out why anything has to be done with existing. But if you insist on doing something, item D. is the only one that meets code.
The only method that would be questionable would be B but all the others are code compliant

Link Copied to Clipboard