ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Haligan Offline OP
Both are permissible, so how to decide?

With the breaker it's more of a hassle to run to the panel to reset, especially if it's at a distance, even more so if you're wet and naked.
But I can't remember the last time I've seen a GFCI trip.

opinions anyone?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

IMHO, it's a design issue, as both are NEC compliant. Also, it's a convenience thing, as you said regarding running and wet.

As to tripping, the one for my laundry circuit tripped a few weeks back...reason unknown. As an inspector, I 'trip' quite a few each day (hopefully).

A personal opinion of mine is a few McMansions that have a GFI in the powder room (first floor) that runs thru to a few other baths. But, that's a design issue!

John
G
The problem that I see with chaining GFI receptacles in several bathrooms is that inevitably someone will be using the bathroom that the reset button is in while I'm wet and naked in the corridor banging on the door because the bathroom that I was in is downstream of it.

"Murphy was an optimist"

Ghost307
R
A GFI receptacle is alot less cost than a GFI breaker.Although legal by code I would never recommend daisy chaining bath recepts.The last custom we did actually had two circuits for the master bath receptacles.

H
Haligan Offline OP
It's a tiny bathroom. 1 sink. I'm only putting 2 receps for convenience. They'll be the only things on the dedicated 20a, and I'm wiring them in parallel.

The 20a gfci breaker is already in the panel from somebody before me.

I've made it clear the penalty for dropping the hairdryer in the toilet is having to run up a flight of stairs into the garage to reset the GFCI. not to mention buying a new hairdryer plus a little .5 amp zinger.

or is it .05. Or is that DUI?

R
Originally Posted by Haligan
It's a tiny bathroom. 1 sink. I'm only putting 2 receps for convenience. They'll be the only things on the dedicated 20a, and I'm wiring them in parallel.

The 20a gfci breaker is already in the panel from somebody before me.

I've made it clear the penalty for dropping the hairdryer in the toilet is having to run up a flight of stairs into the garage to reset the GFCI. not to mention buying a new hairdryer plus a little .5 amp zinger.

or is it .05. Or is that DUI?
The funny thing is dropping the hairdryer in the toilet wont trip the GFI.

R
Originally Posted by Haligan
I've made it clear the penalty for dropping the hairdryer in the toilet is having to run up a flight of stairs into the garage to reset the GFCI. ...

I would not expect it to trip the GFCI as I have never seen a hair dryer with a 3 wire cord. In the absence of an EGC in the hair dryer cord, there is no current path other than hot to neutral when you drop it into the toilet.

Don(resqcapt19)
G
It should still trip the immersion detector in the plug. There is a 3 wire cord in a hair dryer but the 3d wire just connects to a ring in the barrel of the dryer. It is similar to a GFCI but it is looking for any current in that 3d wire from either line side conductor.

Greg Fretwell
R
Originally Posted by gfretwell
It should still trip the immersion detector in the plug. There is a 3 wire cord in a hair dryer but the 3d wire just connects to a ring in the barrel of the dryer. It is similar to a GFCI but it is looking for any current in that 3d wire from either line side conductor.

Yes, that is the purpose of the immersion detector, I was talking about the branch circuit GFCI protection. It is very unlikely that a two wire device will trip the branch circuit GFCI when the device is dropped in a toilet....unless the toilet is an all metal one like found in prisions.

Don(resqcapt19)
S
as an aside here, if one does opt for a panel GFI breaker, and daisychain all the non-dedicated gfci required receptacles back to it, doesn't the length of said circuit's R factor start to influence that 5ma?

~S~

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard