ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 518 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Do you want to start another fight? What about a receptacle on the back of the peninsula where the kitchen sink is installed. The receptacle (which could be in the dining room or living room) which is not in the kitchen, nor is it on the counter top, but it is within 6 feet of the kitchen sink. Does it need to be GFI protected?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
The question would be does it serve the countertop

H
Rewire,

Technically the receptacle couldn't serve the countertop, because most appliances only have a 2 foot cord. Yet, the receptacle is within 6' of the sink. So again, would it have to be GFI protected?

G
The sink really does not get addressed in the "kitchen". The GFCI rule 210.52(A)(6) says "where the receptacles are installed to serve the counter top surfaces". 210.52(C)(6) with the exception says that is between 20" above and 12" below the counter top. Receptacles beyond that distance are not serving the counter top.
I suppose you could plug your hand mixer in that receptacle and drop it into the sink but the code is silent on that issue. If as a design concern you are worried about it as the homeowner or EC you could put in a GFCI receptacle there but you are treading on the edge of a 210.52(B)(2) violation if this is not the dining room, breakfast room, pantry etc and you extend the small appliance circuit there.

Greg Fretwell
R
If it does not serve the countertop then I would say it does not need GFI protection.

H
I would agree with rewire that the receptacle in the dining room, Even though it is within 6' of the sink, would not need GFI protection.

S
Sorry to bring this back up, but I noticed on the countertop appliances I've bought the last few years that they have grounded cords. The Kenmore toaster, coffee maker, GE waffle maker, all have them. I am guessing it is because they have exposed metal casings. But yet, not all small appliances I've seen lately have grounds.

R
you had better go less than 6' anyway,,, you need a minimum of two twenty amp GFI protected ckts,, 4 recepts max on a ckt,, 2' from an opening be it a sink, range , refer, etc

Romex2121:
Where do you get.... "4 recepts max on a ckt"????

John
R
im assuming that this was a kitchen ckt,, i may have read it wrong tho,, if it is a kitch ckt than ckt cannot exced 4 recepts on a GFI protected 20amp ckt

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard