ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Edward Offline OP
I am planning to get a vehicle that has a box at the back. But i can not decide between a FORD/CHEVY OR ISUZU(the one that the front cabin tilts) Diesel or Gas?

Please give me your ideas.

Thanks
Edward

Thanks
Edward
F
Edward:
If I had a choice I would buy a Ford diesel truck. Over the years our company has switched from Chevrolet to all Ford's now. We have one diesel in the fleet, I drove it for about 4 years from the time it was new. Didn't really have too many problems and I averaged about 25k per year.

I am driving the newest one in the fleet right now. It is a 2003 F350 4door crew cab with a Reading utility body and custom made aluminum ladder/pipe rack on it. It rides like a Cadillac.

P.S. The diesels get better gas mileage.

[This message has been edited by fla sparkey (edited 12-21-2002).]

J
Just from past experience I have used an old Type III Ambulance, E-350, diesel. These vechicles have large box space, dual battery and oversized alternator for a large inverter, lockable outside storage, front and rear air, scene lights on all sides which come in handy for after dark time work. But if it was feasible I would go with a custom Dodge.

The lesson is in the struggle, not the victory.
Having watched my Custom Dodge van burn to the ground in a matter of about 5 minutes (all on its own, no less), that wouldn't be my 1st choice.
I'm partial to GM products, but if it's got to be a diesel, I'd go with a Ford.
[smartalec]Yes, diesels get great gas mileage[/smartalec] [Linked Image]

W
I've had both Fords and GMCs. Had good luck with both, Fords diesel is better IMHO and you will get better milage but the up front costs and mainteneance on a diesel becomes a factor. If you live where its cold, fuel quality and starting the vehicle in the morning become problems also.

I like gas jobs better, able to pass on back roads and don't make as much noise.

R
We have Ford E-250s and the GMC work vans. If your a tall guy and need a lot of leg room the cab on the GMC's are more roomy compared to the Fords

For what it's worth, the diesel is my choice. We have a '95 Ford 350, Powerstroke Diesel, new in '95. It has about 140K on it now. Yes, it's "noisy"....the mileage is great...and it's a strong truck.
Here in NJ in the "winter" we plug our two diesels block heaters in and have no trouble starting them.
Maintenance costs for the diesel are "higher" then the gas vans, but maintenance intervals are longer. Repairs are "pricey", but again, not "often".
As to the diesel being "slow", the powerstroke can blow away a lot of the competition on the road, if you are so inclined.

Now the F700 diesel w/55' TECO is "slow", but steady, and if it was a gas engine, we would spend a lot of time at the gas pump.
Diesel is the way for a work truck...
Ford seems to be the brand..
John

John
G
Ford or Chevy???

Buy what you can get the best deal on. We are currently running all fords, but I still think that an old chevy C20 van we had was the lowest cost (to maintain) vehicle we ever had. The fords seem to take a steady stream of $$'s to keep 'em going.

GJ

E
Dangerous topic here!

No offense intended, but personally I wouldn't drive a Ford even if it was free. If you did give me a Ford, I would sell it and buy a GMC or Isuzu, or even a Toyota if available. For diesel box trucks, the Isuzu NPR is the best on the market.

Found On Roadside Dead

Factory Ordered Road Disasters

Flip Over, Read Directions

Four Old Rusty Doors

For Only Retarded Drivers

Flipped Over Russian Dunebuggy

For Off-Road Dead

it Freaking Only Runs Downhill

Found On Railroad Deserted

Forget Out-Running Dale

I guess you could say, I'm not a Ford man [Linked Image]

First On Race Day.

Can Hear Every Valve Rattle On Long, Extended Trips

I'm a Ford guy (remember, if it weren't for Henry Ford, NONE of us could afford a vehicle! It would be a toy for the Rich!!!)

The most resilient motor ever made:

300 cu in Six Cylinder by Ford.

Just ask UPS (they were forced to switch to diesels when Ford quit making the 300-I6 in '96).

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-22-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard