ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#192060 01/25/10 04:34 AM
G
I got some devices from a drywall house and opened them up. This is what I found.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Chinese%20Drywall/devices.html

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

I am surprised that all the wires weren't painted the same color. You know how careful those painters are when they spray paint everything that doesn't move. smile

Cat Servant
Thanks, Greg ... they don't look bad at all. I does appear we're dealing with a 'gas' issue, rather than a 'condensation' issue.

G
It really does seem to single out copper and brass too. Steel and aluminum seems to be unaffected.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Thanks for the pics.
Is this (Chineese drywall) only prevalant in your area? I've seen/read the issues here, and I'm wondering if any got up this way.

John
G
Florida and Louisiana are the main places that have the problem with Florida leading the pack. For some reason there is a pocket of Chinese drywall in Virginia (one truckload?). I bet it was just a ship load or two that landed in Tampa and New Orleans, based on the distribution. The reports from other states are so spotty and anecdotal that they may not even be the real problem. I suppose some could have got out on a truck.
When you have the problem for real, it is very apparent. Anything copper/brass in the house turns jet black.
I have a friend who is fixing these houses and he has already done a few successfully.
Once you get all the drywall out, seal the block and replace all the carpets these houses stop toasting the copper and smelling bad.

Greg Fretwell
G
Florida and Louisiana are the main places that have the problem with Florida leading the pack. The other 2 gulf states have some. For some reason there is a pocket of Chinese drywall in Virginia (one truckload?). I bet it was just a ship load or two that landed in Tampa and New Orleans, based on the distribution. The reports from other states are so spotty and anecdotal that they may not even be the real problem. I suppose some could have got out on a truck.
[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]
When you have the problem for real, it is very apparent. Anything copper/brass in the house turns jet black.
I have a friend who is fixing these houses and he has already done a few successfully.
Once you get all the drywall out, seal the block and replace all the carpets these houses stop toasting the copper and smelling bad.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Thanks for the info

John

Link Copied to Clipboard