ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#191987 01/22/10 02:53 PM
H
I have a question under section 210.12 (B)......Family room,dining room,living room, parlors,libraries, dens,bedrooms,sunrooms,recreation room, closets,hallways, or "SIMILAR ROOMS OR AREAS" can someone define "Similar"?

What about lights in the kitchen? Lights in a unfinished basement? Finished basement? Lights in a garage? Attic?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
Well, thereby hangs the tail ...

Mike Holt was first to realize that this list failed to include stairwells. Others at his site also noted that the non-GFCI protected kitchen circuits were also not required to have AFCI protection.

Now you mention the lighting.

As I see it, the code panel said 'outlets' when they were thinking 'receptacles.'

Another possibility is that they wanted to say 'all' without actually saying 'all.' This might explain the earlier limiting of AFCI requirements to bedrooms; at that time, it was rare for a bedroom to have a dedicated circuit.

Who knows? I've said all along that the AFCI requirements, whatever the motive, were 'bad law,' It's no surprise that these issues keep popping up.

G
When the AFCI requirement first reared its head they were needed for "receptacle outlets". In fact, that's where the Chicago Code still is.

The next NEC Code cycle that was revised to specifically remove the word "receptacle" so that it would apply to all outlets; be they lights, receptacles, hard-wired, or whatever.

I was told that the bedroom receptacle outlets was indeed intended as a starting point. The eventual plan was to included everything in the entire house, but they wanted to start small to see if there were any major issues before they expanded the requirements.

Ghost307
Harold:

I guess a 'prayer room', media room, excersize room, 'office', or basically whatever you want to call the rooms. basically, if it isn't GFI, it's AFCI?

I'm really starting to think that the powers that be in Trenton used their heads when they waited till now to adopt AFCI here.

Let the debate continue....

John
S
Let the debate continue....

sure, if you can stomach cyclical mobius strip logic.....~S~

H
John,

My friend Tony wrote to Suzanne and asked her about the Rehab code and she e-mail him and I back. I sent you a copy of his letter and her reply. I am not sure if I sent it to your home or work e-mail.

H
Reno/ghost,

I wrote to my state and complained about the new '08 NEC. I have been in this business for 30 years or more. This has to be the worst code change that I have ever seen. There are too many manufactures who sit on the code making panel. They all keep pushing for their products to become law. This way it sells more products. How much more will AFCI add to the price of a new house?

I am also getting questions from EC's about AFCI protection for pool wiring and HVAC wiring. I ask why pool wiring. They say it is because it goes through a bedroom. So since it goes through a bedroom, it must be AFCI protected.

S
maybe the Q to ask is if there's any rop's in the works asking for a clarification.....?

~S~

F
Originally Posted by harold endean
Reno/ghost,

I wrote to my state and complained about the new '08 NEC. I have been in this business for 30 years or more. This has to be the worst code change that I have ever seen. There are too many manufactures who sit on the code making panel. They all keep pushing for their products to become law. This way it sells more products. How much more will AFCI add to the price of a new house?

I am also getting questions from EC's about AFCI protection for pool wiring and HVAC wiring. I ask why pool wiring. They say it is because it goes through a bedroom. So since it goes through a bedroom, it must be AFCI protected.

Harold.,
You did bring up good question related to the pool circuit that have to run thur the bedroom.
But if not useation { have a switch or outlet } in bedroom IMO it do not have to be AFCI at all.

That question will be open answer format due there are few ways to address this situation.

Speaking in my state { Wisconsin } they just start enforeing AFCI not too long ago so it will be instering how it come out. In France we don't have any AFCI devices yet but heard talking about it but nothing in written yet.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

J
As far as the wiring for a pool or something else going thru a bedroom I really don't see the need for the AFCI. It is not serving any of the area requiring AFCI protection. What is the kitchen or bathroom circuits went thru the bedroom? Could the AHJ reasonably expect to now require AFCI protection?

This reminds me of the closet lighting that was exempt during one of the early requirements for AFCIs in the bedrooms. I also remember that switches in bedrooms for floodlights outside did not require AFCI protection.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard