ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
I own a 1992 F150 4x4 and 1986 C20 CHEVY, The FORD nobody has been able to fix,many $$$ later it still has a miss and 10 MPG, the Chevy has been a good truck but with 150.000 K its time for a new motor I do not trust GM on newer goods at all due some of the garbage they have dumped on the market over the years, Fords diesels have performed well over the years so that would be my choice.

GMC
GOTTA MECHANIC COMING
GAY MANS COMPANION

JEEP
JUNK EACH EVERY PART

W
I do some work for UPS and they switched to Diesels in their package cars and guess what they didn't stand up so now they are switching back to gas jobs. Can't remember what they were installing but I think 250cu in chevys.

C
Oh boy....Ford vs. Chevy. This argument is like the pretwisting vs. no pretwisting.

Personally, I drive a '96 F-150 Work with the 6 and E4OD auto. Its been a good truck with relatively few problems.

The most resilient motor ever made:
300 cu in Six Cylinder by Ford.

True...but the E4OD really robs the power from it. I still wish I got mine with the manual.

If you live in New England, this place has some good deals.
www.portford.com

Peter
J
I will probably order a Chevy 3500 with the 6 liter gas engine. The dealer said unless I was doing more mileage it wasn't worth the extra cost for the engine for the increased mileage per gallon. Also the incereased maintenance costs were a factor.

I looked at one of the Freightliner Sprinter vans that FedX is now using. It comes with a 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel that gets 20-22 mpg fully loaded. You can get a 8, 10 or 12' box and 2 different heights. My problem was where to store the ladders, it would take a ladder to reach the ladders on top. I didn't want them on the sides.

T
stay away from one of those cab over thingies. My brother in law won't walk for months after he wrapped the front around his legs in an accident.

TW

F
got an 89 chevy with 71000 miles new motor new tranny broken shock mounts (need I go on?)Also have a 69 F100 get in turn the key and go

G
around here, (central ohio), chevys seem to be a little cheaper to get repaired, and the parts for them seem a little more readily available. but, (theres always a "but"), the fords seem to go longer between repairs, and their front suspensions are, by far, much more heavy duty than the chevys. chevys seem to have scrimped on the durability of their front suspensions for the past 25 years, and they are still very deficient in that area, IMHO.

just another opinion..............

[Linked Image]

W
I've owned all of the big 3, was a while ago. 75 F250 w/a 360 cu in 4sp manual, that truck took abuse and had no problems with it except for rust. 82 Chevy C10 4.3ltr. 3 on the tree, this truck had several problems, but it's parts were easier to find and replace. 88 Dodge 1/2 ton 4wd, big problems with transmission as I've noticed dodge has a long history of trany problems. I drive a 92 Dakota now, doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil, hasn't given me any problems, had regular maintenance expenses and that's it. Seems like these days, even though I'm partial to the older vehicles that the trucks are engineered much better than the old days. I think if I was to purchase something now, i would see which one fits my situation the best and compare the warranties. Waranties seem to be very important as materials and labor costs are extremely expensive. I think that would make the decission a little easier. If I'm in business and it costs me more time and money for repairs than another vehicle, there's all the time lost from the business on top of repairs. these days it doesn't seem to matter which company you buy for, it's not all american parts anyways. I know people who own isuzu, they tell me they're very expensive to fix, I know people that own ford trucks, some of them have told me the suspension gave them expensive repair bills. I haven't heard anything bad a bout GM products from anyone yet. I guess a big part of the whole buying new situation would be the dealers reputation, their service department, how they treat you when you need them. Checking track records, looking at consumer reports, asking people who've owned such vehicles, checking reasale value. I know when I buy anything I do quiet a lot of investigating, specially if I have to make payments .

[This message has been edited by Wirenuttt (edited 12-22-2002).]

A
All my trucks are chevrolets BUT... I have contemplated an F250 Powerstroke for myself.

The oldest truck in the fleet is a 95 6 cyl stick, a straight work truck. It is WAY overloaded, cross box, two side boxes, three storage boxes, ladder rack, 20 ft extension, 10ft, 8ft, 6ft, and 4ft ladders all weighing the poor thing down! Plus the added weight of wire and overhead poles about every other day.

All I can say is the truck has never let me down or left me walking after 147K miles.

I drive a 2000 2500 long bed extended cab with all the fixings less the rack and a couple of ladders. Good truck but the driver side door leaks. Havent had time to put it in the shop and get it fixed.

The newest truck is a 2002 long bed 1500 V8
decked out too.

No major problems with any of them! Guess I'm a Chevy man.

F
Oh boy....Ford vs. Chevy. This argument is like the pretwisting vs. no pretwisting.

or like ground up or down for all of us from the us

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard