ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#191363 12/25/09 01:36 PM
J
jimbob Offline OP
just a note to those starting there own business .a guy i know did a rewire for a guy.the service was fine so didnt bother with an inspection, brought every thing in house up to code it was around 3500.when job was done the guy told him he wasnt going to pay him.come to find out the guy didnt even own the house, just staying there .he called the owner and she said she didnt authorize the job and said she wasnt paying.the electrician whent to his lawyer but he said ther wasnt much he could do. you just never know.

Cat Servant
Jimbob .... welcome to business!

We've touched on these points. They come down to:
1) Get a signed contract;
2) Know your lien laws;
3) Make sure you have ALL necessary licenses and permits.

Worst case: consider it tuition in the University of Life.

F
Welcome Jimbob.,

That one thing I know you allready learn a lesson but here a trick I learn longtime ago.,,

Make sure you get singed contract never go by verbal at all.
Make sure if this is a resdentail make sure you get proper premits this is very important otherwise they can nail ya real hard.
If this place is rental { resdentail or commercal } make sure you get athorized details from the owner of that place. This part is very important if the owner refuse to athorized it then the renter may have to pay it so that is the key issue here.

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

B
Changed a panel without a permit? How did they do that? Here the meter is locked. Sounds like there is more to the story. A renter just decided to have his rented house re-wired and thought he would just turn the bill over to his landlord. Very strange indeed...

Cat Servant
I should add ....

I knew a man who had built his business up from scratch. For him, his vanity license plate said it all: GSM 1.

Meaning: Get Some Money First

L
Welcome JIMBOB! Enjoy your stay!!!

A 'guy'I know and A 'Friend' of mine got burnt on rental work.

So now what 'they' do. meet with the user-Renter- then meet and get a signed 'OK' from the landlord, for resi stuff.
The commercial stuff I, uummm, 'they' get a copy of the release from the tenant stating it is OK for them to alter the building system.

'My Friend' learned this about 2 yrs ago,When he installed a NEW motion outside light in a single occupancy rented dwelling unit.
The landlord felt 'out of the loop',so wined about it.
but with some slick customer relation skills and a little 'shine'.... all was good.
but could have been much different.
Live and learn! (so my 'Friend' tells me) wink

I get a permit for all electrical I do, for one thing it is the law for another if anyone really wanted to , all they have to do is a bit of googling and they will see that, if the contractor does permitted work with out a permit , they dont have to pay him as he hasnt a leg to stand on.

RH1 Offline
Sounds like the tenant owes the electrician $3500. This would be an easy win in Small Claims court and collectible through wage garnishing. Might even be criminal fraud...

Link Copied to Clipboard