ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
gfretwell #191494 12/31/09 12:01 PM
L
leland Offline OP
Interesting dialog.
Many angles appear when you get to "Interpret".
Almost becomes fun!

As far as the 'wip to the fixture/rec- I can see them (CMP) requireing UF or LT some day.

Thanx!
Any way: i just boxed it inside and changed to PVC down.
That should make all pleased. smile

Last edited by leland; 12/31/09 12:02 PM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

leland #191498 12/31/09 03:00 PM
NM in sealtite for AC Cu units shows up on occasion; the re-inspect on occasion is the 'skinned' NM in the sealtite; the re-re-inspect usually is THHN/THWN.

NM in PVC shows up on occasion also with similar results as above.

John
HotLine1 #191501 12/31/09 04:09 PM
G
I was lucky that 99% of the inspecting I did was commercial so I didn't see much Romex. I failed the first RX job I saw (physical protection problems < 1.25" from framing) They ended up sleeving in in EMT after some protesting about "how they do it up north".

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #191504 12/31/09 05:10 PM
Cat Servant
Sticking to the point: I don't have an issue with 'de minimus' use of romex in what are nominally wet locations; entering the base of the light next to your front door being a good example.

That's my problem with those who take the code as far as they can. We've all seen wires that were spliced using a twist, solder, and tape; can anyone document just what exactly makes this an 'approved' means? Or, for that matter, where placing a wire nut over twisted wires is officially endorsed?

Drifitng off point ... ever notice that most folks on the road treat the speed limit as though it were a requirement to drive at that speed? That there is something 'wrong' about doint 35 in a 40 zone?

Well, the same psychology applies to electric work as well. Romex had, until recently, been regarded as a very limited wiring method, to be used only in certain circumstances. It was clear to all that it was intended only for stick-framed single family homes.
I'm not making this up, either. Metal studs didn't exist until the 70's, and the code limited romex to buildings three stories or less. For those unaware, three stories is as high as you can go using wood ballon-framing as the structural supports. (Trivia: Cement blocks can only go 5 stories). That code restriction was a major hint as to the intended uses of romex.

A few cycles back (was it 99?) we re-worded this part of the NEC, substituting fire-rated construction classes in place of the previous restriction. Voila! Suddenly romex was allowed for use in commercial buildings.

So, now we are faced with an attitude that romex is the 'default' wiring method, with other methods used only as a last resort - and all manner of methods used to remain with romex, to 'push the envelope.' We're also seeing romex used more with steel studs, a circumstance for which it was never intended - and, IMO, for which bushings are a poor adaptation. (Ever try to mount a plastic nail-on box to a steel stud?)

IMO, the use of romex has drifted far from its' intended course, in part because of changes in the way we make things. Sad to say, there are many electricians who have not worked with any other wiring method. (Scary, but true!) What was meant as a way to make tract homes has crabbed into every corner of construction. I think the entire NEC article needs a substantial review.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard