ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
gfretwell #191440 12/29/09 03:37 PM
J
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I suppose the AHJ makes the rules but article 100 says wet locations are "... unprotected locations exposed to weather".
In 2008 they also removed the confusion about above grade wet location raceways

I can think of one place near here that interpreted NM outside as ok in a conduit sleeve. Seems that changed the "unprotected" into "protected" and made everything OK. Sure that wasn't the intent but I can see how they came up with that.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Jim M #191443 12/29/09 05:37 PM
G
From what I read the problem is the paper packing in the NM. It can wick water. I am not sure why they still have the paper in there in the first place. I suppose it is just so they can sell UF for more money and make you carry two products. That is really 3 products if you include "damp" rated NM-c but I have never seen that. When you look for NM-c on the web sites for the manufacturers you get routed to UF

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #191459 12/30/09 05:53 AM
Does anyone know what type of insulation the individual conductors have?
I will contact southwire tomorrow.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Niko #191462 12/30/09 10:20 AM
Can't say that I ever seen an insulation ID on the conductors within NM cable. IMHO, appears to be THHN, without the outer clear nylon.

John
leland #191464 12/30/09 01:31 PM
From Southwire application engineer

"The conductors inside of our Romex products are listed as THHN only. You are correct in the statement that most conductors are multi rated. Romex is listed as a complete product and the conductors SHALL NOT be used with out the outer jacket. It can only be used as Romex and where Romex is approved for use by the NEC."

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Niko #191470 12/30/09 03:08 PM
G
I do think the practice is incongruous in the way it applies "wet" and "dry" at the face of an exterior wall. It is OK to terminate RX in the canopy of an exterior light if the box is recessed in the wall but if you extend this wire through a short sleeve on the exterior wall it is "wet/damp".
I have seen differing opinions about a surface mounted box fed directly through the wall.
It doesn't really matter if this is an insulation issue or a "paper in the jacket" issue, it will still be present in the canopy of that outside light but everyone says the RX is OK there.
I don't understand it but that is the accepted interpretation.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #191474 12/30/09 04:56 PM
G
Contrary to the statement by the Southwire Engineer, there is nothing in the files that says that the conductors inside NM cable are THHN. It only says that the conductors are rated for 90°
Greg I agree with you on your attitude on wet locations and feeding the fixtures etc. that have the stub out directly into the boxes.

George Little
J
George, are you saying that you believe that UF should be run from the switch to the fixture box or just that there seems to be a potential conflict with the Code when using NM into the back of the box?

I agree Reno, romex also has seen a wider privilege of use. So which is it good enough or hazardous? Here in my jurisdiction most inspectors will allow minimal footage of romex in damp/wet locations (just don't push the limit i.e. half the distance of total run).

G
From what see, the criteria is you can't have the RX jacket on the wet side of the wall. IE you can have a pancake on the wall with the conductors sticking out and it is OK. Just don't come out the wall with RX and go somewhere.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard