ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Reno- You are quite correct with the requirements for larger generators. I've made inspections with the maintenance people in a large hospital where they have a program set up and monthly, they notify the various areas of the complex that there will be a generator test a a prearranged time. The test consist of recording the voltage on each leg with utility power> dropping the utility power> then using a stop watch, log the transfer time> check the voltage coming from the generator> let it run for about 20 minutes> bring utility power back up and then log the transfer time. This hospital has numerous generators for the various areas of the complex and it took all day to complete the test. Of course there was lunch for the Inspector smile

The small generators such as mine are designed to not transfer load during exercising the generator. (Generac residential grade)

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
"Wet stacking" is primarily a concern with diesel engines. When the fixed speed engine is not heavily loaded, unburnt fuel wil collect in the exhaust system. When the system is subsequently loaded, this unburnt fuel will finally ignite. Now you have a chimney fire or alot of nasty soot plus flaming debris coming out of your exhaust stack.

The little generators (<20 KVA) that are gasoline or propane powered don't suffer from this problem. It still makes sense to load them electrically. Not loading them is similiar to letting the car idle all day to keep the interior warm in winter. It is not very economical and it accelerates mechanical wear, but it typically will not cause a fire.

Mechanically speaking, it does make sense to operate the engine on a monthly or quarterly basis to ensure that moisture is driven out of the oil, the fuel in the carb is replaced with fresher fuel, all of the moving parts are exercised to keep them lubricated, etc. The important thing is to get everything up to normal operating temperature. Loading the generator will cause that to hapen quicker, than letting it sit at idle or no load.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard