ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#190990 12/14/09 09:14 PM
J
jimbob Offline OP
in nova scotia it used to be code that if you couldnt remove all the old knob and toob when doing a rewire you could put that circuit on a gfci, usually by panel.could some tell me if this is still code.

Jimbob:
Welcome to the ECN forums! One of my neighbors up north of the border will jump in & give you an answer!

John
Originally Posted by jimbob
in nova scotia it used to be code that if you couldnt remove all the old knob and toob when doing a rewire you could put that circuit on a gfci, usually by panel.could some tell me if this is still code.

yes it is still code

J
jimbob Offline OP
its nice to remove all the old wiring but you sometimes cant get it all. thanks for info.

M
One word of caution about rewire and Knob and Tube. Yes it is Kosher and compliant to gfci protect the first outlet and put regular 3 wire receptacles on the circuit. I like to see the outlets downstream with lables indicating they are GFCI protected and don't have a bonding conductor.
The big problem with K&T is the temperature rating and newer luminaires. Many newer luminaires are to be connected to a wire with a 90 degree temperature rating. Trouble is K&T is only 60 degree insulation so a new fixture could destroy the insulation in short order.
New fixture also rewuire a bonding connection and some jurisdictions will allow the circuit to be gfci protected without adding the bonding wire. Check with your inspector.

S
so would adding a few inches of newer 90C wire in the box bettween the K&T and fixture wire(s) make this compliant mikesh?

~S~

F
Originally Posted by sparky
so would adding a few inches of newer 90C wire in the box bettween the K&T and fixture wire(s) make this compliant mikesh?

~S~

For my answer is no it is not compliant at all due the oringal T&K do not have grounding conductor there at all and I did recall the NEC stated that you can not extend the groundless conductors.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

M
For circuits originally supplied with a bonding wire IE nmd3 or MD about 450 mm of 90 loomex will look after the heat issue but the bonding cannot be done from a K&T circuit.
I don't mean 18 inches of wire in the box either. You need to add a jb. If you have attic space it is easy to relocate the old Jb in the rafter and put a new one with the higher temp wire in the place of the ceiling outlet.

S
intersting, so would said JB be plastic, and the bonding wire taken out of the 90 loomex here (assuming a K&T circuit without one) ?

~S~

S
Originally Posted by mikesh
If you have attic space it is easy to relocate the old Jb in the rafter and put a new one with the higher temp wire in the place of the ceiling outlet.

If you have attic space then there should be no reason why the knob and tube can't be replaced.

Knob and tube wiring is 60+ years old, has no ground, and SHOULD be replaced, regardless of the condition. Everything has a lifespan, including wiring.

Just because the Code allows us to protect a K&T circuit with a ground fault protector or install a loomex jumper (or high temp sleeving) to make fixture boxes 90C compliant, in my opinion it should only be used as a temporary measure until replacement is done. I'll get down off my soapbox now smile

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard