ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
Once again, you need to "pay attention to detail." Or, as Rush point out, "words mean things."

210.52(D) is where we get the requirement for bathroom receptacles. That section says nothing about "residential," but does start out "In dwelling units ..."

There is no intent for this building to be a dwelling unit, nor does it contain other features -such as a kitchen- that would be consistant with such use. That the property is zoned residential, or that there is a dwelling unit associated with this shop, matters not at all. As such, there is no requirement for any receptacle in the bathroom -even if there is a sink- or a dedicated circuit. All the guy wants is a toilet. Elsewhere, there's likely a sink for clean-up, but, again, we have no reason to believe that the sink is in any way associated with the toilet.

If we do decide that this is a dwelling, the bathroom circuit is the least of our worries. Heating system, smoke alarms, laundry circuit, AFCI's, receptacle spacing, minimum service size, ... all manner of things become required.

I must admit that, over the years, I've done all manner of things in my garage. Reaching for the curling iron isn't on that list, though. laugh

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Hey it has to be part of the dwelling unit or we wouldn't be able to require that the garage door opener receptacle is T/R wink

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
You know, Greg ... making the garage detached just might be a way to dodge that requirement. I had not thought of it that way, but as a separate building ....?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard