ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Cat Servant
Perhaps someone could cite / link the exact "OSHA" rule?

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
K
I noticed that there is a UL sticker on my old 4-ft aluminum step ladder that says UL Listed Metal Ladder followed by some wording about it being electrical conductive, but unfortunately it is too worn to read or get the actual number of the UL standard off it. I also wasn’t able to find anything on the UL website.

The only OSHA rule I could locate regarding conductive ladders was when there are used on or near energized parts. So don’t know if it applies per say.
Section 1910.333(c) -- Working on or near Exposed Energized Parts
1910.333(c)(7) -- Portable Ladders. Portable ladders shall have nonconductive siderails if they are used where the employee or the ladder could contact exposed energized parts.

The ANSI A14.2-2000 standard for metal ladders doesn’t have any reference to using them around electrical hazards that I could see.

I found this interesting link from NIOSH though. There are some examples of avoidable fatalities from metal ladders contacting overhead electrical lines: NIOSH

Here is some info I found on fiberglass ladders.

Fiberglass Ladders
OSHA does not address fiberglass ladders. ANSI does have guidelines to follow when choosing ladders constructed of fiberglass. According to ANSI 14.5 2000, fiberglass ladders should be made out of good commercial grade thermosetting polyester resin reinforced with glass fibers. The following selections need to be considered and followed:

electrical
corrosion resistnace
outdoor weathering
thermal conditions
structural integrity

ANSI Standards and ANSI A14.5-2000 for reinforced plastic ladders. These standards detail specifications on the various materials, construction requirements, test requirements, usage guidelines and labeling/marking requirements for portable ladders.

Cat Servant
Kjay, that's actually a very good citation, and I thank you for your research. It goes to the heart of why I started this thread.

The point I was raising was that we routinely use other metal platforms, and in some situations an appropriate fiberglass ladder simply doesn't exist.

If the use of metal ladders is so bad, we really need to re-think the ways we use these other things - scissor lifts, boom lifts, scaffolding, etc.

L
Hard rubber/plastic wheels comes to mind first,unless they are plugged in.Offering a small amount of isolation.

K
Not to get off topic, but it took me a while to find out what exactly a reinforced plastic ladder is.
At first I thought it was those little plastic step stools that are used around the home, but apparently it is common for pool ladders to be made out of this material, so I guess I learned something new today. smile

There are appropriate boom type lifts with 'glass inserts in the boom section(s) that effectivly insulate the platform & operator...but that rental item has to be searched for. The rental companies are very CYA about using the equipment properly, all the legaleese is within the rental documentation. Maintaining clearances from electrical lines is probably mentioned many, many times.

A scissor lift theoretically is 'insulated' by virtue of the tires; but yes, contact with a grounded object can be a problem.

There are boom trucks with steel booms, with the basket mounted via insulators.

I owned a bucket truck, 55' TECO, end hung, with 'glass inserts in the lower & upper boom sections. Certified and tested to 35KV.

Bottom line is, maintaining clearances from conductors, and maintaining a non-conductive path to earth. Using a device that is 'non'grounded' via tires is only good IF there is no contact between the earth and the device by a person touching the device. (That's one of the many safety decals)

On the same note, using a 'glass ladder and coming into contact with a live item, and another conductive item.....the 'glass don't help. Training, concentration, and common sense rule!

John
F
John { hotline } .,

How often you test your bucket truck for insluating testing purpose mine I have do that every year due I routeally work with 14.4 KV system from time to time but majorty of the time I will use them on parking lot luminaires or change service riser where I feel not really safe to use the extendision ladder at all.

But for speaking of step ladders I do not know if I heard rumours they may change the standard { rules } on OSHA.

{ Keep in your mind the Europeans do have it own standards and safety codes but a bit do come from USA side }

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

S
Thanx KJay for the reference. I worked most of the weekend and spent the day helpig a friend rip out some carpeting. OSHA regs are easy to find on their website. Shocking enough. 1926 covers constuction like ladders, scafolding and such.
sub part K is electrical safety.

1910 covers safety in the work place like office, breakroom and such. Subpart S covers the electrical angle. If you understand whats in 1910, its info to pass onto customers to prevent OSHA citations. could make some extra work and a good repore with customers. If you go in and fix something under the guide of 1910, you will fall under the umbrella of 1926 until the wok is done. Make sense?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Marc:
It was a yearly test & cert.
I did not do any line work, but kept the cert up to date for records on truck & maintenance.

It was used primarily for PL lighting and sign work, and holiday decorations, and a few 'odd' type jobs.

It (records & up-to-date certs when I sold the truck.

John
Cat Servant
I need to point out that even the most recently certified ladder, made of the best 'No Conductium,' will let you zap the crap out of you with just the least amount of dirt, grime, moisture, etc. The same applies to gloves, hot sticks, etc ... and the problem seems to grow as a cube of the voltage (that is, doubling the voltage seems to make it eight times as conductive).

Never rely alone on following an OSHA rule to protect you.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard