ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 543 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
That's why I said that a mess like the one described above is an opportunity for a real pro to show the customer the value of having a real pro!

true Reno, however i'm compelled to forward the flipside of this, which is having to be the 'bad guy' in pointing out these 'mess' jobs.

In fact, it seems i'm always right behind this pack of flying monkeys here that violate our trade to the above extent , if not more.

'Billing points' for the EC? Sure, I did it throughout my EC business career. Dependent on the job scope, some 'approvals' were worth 5 figure sums. Yes, there were 'Reds' that were revenue delayers also, some unwarranted, some deserved.

more than simply billing point would be job continuity Hotone, jobs that have dedicated stoping points of rough and finish tend to be run a little better than those that don't.

~S~

sparky:

Perhaps, the term 'progress payment' as within AIA contracts. Part of the paper trail required the inspection & approval of whatever 'progress' being billed for.
ie: Trench & service; rough phase 1; rough phase 2; etc.

John
As someone who spent the best part of his working life on production lines,"Inspection", as a method of ensuring stuff is made right went out with the Ark [ no pun intended!]. We ran 'quality control', which is an entirely different concept. QC runs in parallel with production, does not slow it down, checking that the right materials, components, tools procedures and skills are employed, and we ran sampling to get a grip on faults - that is only critical stuff got a 100% check. The operators do the bulk of this checking work, based on the japanese model of doing the right thing and doing the thing right. If you put that into the context of an Inspector checking a tradesman's efforts, you will see that in fact you have to rely on the electricians skills and knowledge anyway for practically all of the work being done correctly, especially in places you can't see. An Inspector won't find every fault- but if his initial look-see spots poor workmanship or glaring errors, alarm bells should sound, heralding a more rigorous inspection. Everyone makes mistakes- the art of being a pro is that you learn and don't repeat them, surely?

Wood work but can't!
S
Originally Posted by HotLine1
sparky:

Perhaps, the term 'progress payment' as within AIA contracts. Part of the paper trail required the inspection & approval of whatever 'progress' being billed for.
ie: Trench & service; rough phase 1; rough phase 2; etc.

AIA HotOne?

well i take it that's contractual jargon for work in progress

i was trying to (feebly) forward that inspections tend to slow down jobs run by people that really don't have a clue, like sheetrock before mechanicals

yes, i need to explain this to some sorts around here, and yes it gets really old....~S~

S
The operators do the bulk of this checking work, based on the japanese model of doing the right thing and doing the thing right

read that story somewhere Al, something about a couple of industrial engineers from the USA ending up in japan in the late 50's....

i bet the big 3 wished they'd had listened now ,eh?

~S~

sparky:
To clarify...
A few jobs, the $$$ payments are controlled by the Architect of record, and contractual documents contain 'steps' that are required for 'progress payments'. The required documentation is contained on various AIA (Amperican Instutite of Architects) (I think I got that right) forms, which the contractor has to fill out and submit with supporting paper and an invoice.

Paper, paper, paper.....equals a payment.

The full details are rather boring, but IF its part of the 'job', it has to be followed.

John
L
AH! Think 'construction loan'. After the AHJ,Now the bank must approve, then you get the cake YOU laid out!

As a consumer, not a bad thing.

G
I did "draw" inspections for a while and "paper" is the big problem. They had more red tape than the state wink

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard