ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
I was looking at a home in Florida, and the arrangement seems to confound the NEC in two ways.

The otherwise unremarkable house is located on a canal. It has an enclosed pool in the back, between the house and the canal. Let's look at two pictures:

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]
This is the pool. The house forms the wall on the right, and the screen wall to the left sits atop the seawall.

We've discussed 'sunrooms' before, and formed the opinion that they were 'habitable,' and thus needed receptacles. Yet, in this example, most any receptacle would be within the six foot (?) 'forbidden' zone around the pool. So the question is: to have a receptacle or not?

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]
Here is the view from the other side of that screen wall. What's not clear is that I'm literally standing on the water's edge; that cement block wall is the sea wall. While the NEC requires a receptacle in the rear of this house ... are we sure we want one on that sea wall?
Personally, I would look at the code specification of 'accessible from grade level,' and argue that there is NO 'grade level,' that the areas beyond the sea wall are below grade.

What do you say?

Reno:
Are you saying that the concrete that the carpet and hoses are laying on is not a 'patio'?

The 'patio' (cement) IMHO is grade, based on how I see the pic.

This is right up Greg's alley!

John
G
That is not a sun room, it is a screened pool enclosure and the pool rules take precedence over 210.52. It will also show up differently on the tax appraiser plot plan.
I would expect the receptacle serving the rear of the house to be outside the enclosure somewhere. That block wall is not really a "sea wall" it is just a retaining wall to hold the box of dirt the house sits on. You notice the hose bib is in it.
This must be an old pool. I doubt you could build that today and you certainly would need to relocate the door handle on the cage door. (53" min height).
The door has to open "out"
I would also want to know if the windows are tempered glass and are the frames bonded. Is the cage bonded?
Where is the 36" of clear walkway behind the pool?
The strange thing is the screen cage seems fairly new, based on the cable anchor and the size of the roof members.
It is possible it was inspected by a structural inspector who doesn't understand pool rules (or unpermitted).
Pool finals are usually done by the electrical inspector, strange as that seems.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
A receptacle on the retaining wall would work? Of course, it would be TR/WR/GFI protected and live in a really nice bubble cover!

Thanks for your input on Reno's pics.

John
G
My wife says, code wise, the screen cage is after Andrew and before Charlie. 1992-2004. I am guessing 130mph wind code area.
[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

If this is SE Florida (Miami/Dade) that may never have met code.

Greg Fretwell
L
#1 We must determine the install date of the structure and accessories..

With out that we are all just blowing wind.

G
The real question at this point is how you would get a wire out there. I would seriously consider just going on the side of the house, near the rear or in the outside wall of the screen enclosure kick panel. A lot of time I see EMT strapped to these enclosures for things like this.
In fact I am using EMT for the overhead lights in my pool cage but it is 14' tall. My outside receptacles are on the corners, attached right to the cage. I was able to get the raceways underground before the cage was built for these so it is cleaner than strapping EMT to the wall. At my FIL's house we ran them right along the joint at the base so it isn't totally ugly.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:

Any reason for EMT, as opposed to PVC with all that water?

John
G
I used PVC in the ground but EMT on the cage itself, above ground. It just looks better and doesn't sag.
Some of the bending was tricky but that is half the fun wink

The other thing was I shot it all with medium bronze paint after it was bent but before I put it up, for additional corrosion protection and so it blends with the cage material. I was very happy with the way it came out. I have 15 H-101 style lamp holders around the pool with 15w sign bulbs in them. It makes a real nice light level without that "stallag 17" look. There are also 2 underwater lights on dimmers. I also have some PAR 38s on a separate circuit for when the kids are here and we want it bright.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
I totally agree with you about the 'sag' with PVC. As to your efforts, that's the sign of a craftsman! I guess if the HO's that live along the water here were willing to pony-up the $$$ for a 'matching' paint job, there would be more EMT.

I have 3/4 Sch 80 exposed in limited locations. Next project...EMT and paint.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard