ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
http://www.harrietcarter.com/outlet_household-helper-specials/power-mizer/

has anyone seen these before? looks like a joke to me. What would be the logic behind these things if they even did work???

a resistor?

G
They are diodes

Greg Fretwell
F
so they are feeding the bulb un rectidfied dc current? how does this save power?

G
I didn't say it works, that is just what it is.
It may only be half wave.

Greg Fretwell
...no noticeable loss of brightness...

Your eyes will easily adjust 0.1 of a stop = 10% reduction in output, and will hardly notice. Color rendition will suffer though. Will they work on a CFL?

Wood work but can't!
S
If that's a diode, it's going to be a 50% reduction, not 10%. People may notice flicker, as well, as the frequency will reduce from 120Hz (bright on + and - peaks) to 60Hz (just + peaks).

What they may mean is that dimmers noticibly change the brightness of the bulb and color temperature. This method presumably doesn't.

W
Might be a thermistor, a special resistor that is designed to be a high resistance when cold, and when you turn the light switch on, it gets hot and the resistance drops to a low value. This reduces the turn on inrush current on the lightbulb, reducing the stress on the filament, and after the thermistor warms up, the bulb is running at around the 10% reduction that your eyes won't notice.

Half wave diodes will make the lightbulb much dimmer and the light a lot browner.

Thermistors are commonly used in switching power supplies in computers, used to reduce inrush current upon power up.

Flicker shouldn't be a problem with a standard bulb shouldn't be a problem, as it's unlikely that the filament would cool enough in 1/60 second to be noticeable to the human eye.

I'm assuming any such devices would not make a CFL very happy.

F
I have see that " energy saver button " for so many years I know the early one were dimmed to about half brightness due it converted from AC to DC in half wavefourm.

Oh yeah the CFL will not like the energy saver button at all it will wreck hovac on the electronic units.

Higher wattage bulbs are not too noticable with flicker as long it stay above 40 HZ but once you get down below 40 HZ { it don't matter if sine wave or chopped DC wave } it will flicker. { it can get really bad like old 25 HZ days }

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

P
pdh Offline
And how will this affect neutral current on wye systems?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard