ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Reno:
Yes, multiple (All) AHJ's must sign-off for a CO to be issued, and NO that is not an NEC item.

That said, I as the Electrical Subcode Official (AHJ) have to 'sign-off' for CO Approval. That is usually accomplished upon Final Inspection and approval. Now, IMHO 'Final' means that all work is completed, and there should be some means of illumination in each and every required area. As I said above, a half switched receptacle is compliant, without anything being plugged-in. However, a room/area that has a blanked off ceiling or wall lighting outlet does not fly.

It is very rare to have this type scenario occur in the field. In the instances were it has, a keyless, 'el-cheapo', or a paddle fan with light kit showed up fairly quick.

As to Gregs comment about a permit for the installation of 'missing' fixtures...I'm still laughing. Our UCC classifies that under 'repair' for which no permit is required.

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
The reason I mentioned it is there are several places where the code references "replacements" and I assume some AHJs might want a permit to enforce the rule. In Florida most AHJs want a permit to replace a water heater and that is clearly a repair. In the latest code you not only need a permit to replace an HVAC condenser, you also need to do an energy calculation. I am not sure what happens if your house is not properly insulated but that seems to be the way they are heading.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Our UCC regs refer to replacement of certain minor items as 'repair' & 'no permit'
Luminaires "Like for like" is no permit, if wiring is not modified/moved/relocated.
My reasoning for saying LOL is I have not seen a HO or EC ever come for a permit in to install the 'missing' luminaires/paddle fans.

Water heaters, furnaces, HVAC replacements require permits. The HVAC compressor requires a Lic. EC, an Electric water heater requires a Lic EC, furnaces/boilers are 'permit by basically anyone'. To add to the paper trail, replacement furnaces, boilers, water heaters require electric, plumbing, and Fire permits. HVAC comp requires elec. and plumb for condensate drain/pump if req.

John
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard