ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
ricker Offline OP
Hello Everyone,
I just purchased my contractors bond, and sent in the paper work for my california electrical contractors license. Many other details to deal with, but I would like to know if there is an industry favorite as far as cell phones go. I know that this is probably going to be a first line of contact with many potential customers, plus an indispensible tool for daily operations. So, can anyone recommend what they consider to be the best cell phone for our daily business. Thank you.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
S
I can speak only for my phone. I have the new Apple iPhone 3GS. Is it is like a laptop in you pocket and more. I have catalogs, manuals, and spread sheets I use on a regular basis. It is way easy to use and has 32 gigs of memories. There are hundreds of apps to choose from. Some are good, some are not. I can take pitures, make material lists, send emails, text messages, research on the internet, and I can even print wirelessly from my phone. It is not a replacement for a computer but a great subsitute when you are mobile. I can conduct business on the fly and I am not as chained to my desk as I was. I can move files between the phone and my computer. It is really easy to use. Some of the apps can be tricky or just junk. The good thing is they are dirt cheap or even free. I found some help me stay orginize. I have so much going on at any one time. I need all the help I can get.

Apple has a demo online that is targeted to social networking. It demostrates the ease of shooting video, editing it and posting it like on You Tube. When I tell people about the phone, I tell them that the phone can make them famous on You Tube before the ambulance arrives.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
I think that at a certain point all of these entertainment oriented phones make you less productive.

Greg Fretwell
S
Only if you let it. I personally do not have time for games when I am at work. If the person is a business owner, rather (s)he is the type to put their nose to the grind stone or actually plays games with it, it is their business. An employee is whole different can of worms. I would imagine pretty much every employer has a cell phone policy.

S
I looked both at the iPhone and Blackberry. I really knew what I wanted. The Blackberries did not have what I wanted so the iPhone was a no brainer for me. Many othe phones can do like internet, camera, planner, calculator, etc. But usually you have to push 50 bilzillion buttons to get where you need to go. Another nice feature is most screen on the phone will rotate from portait view to landscape view when you rotate the phone. In landscape view, the touch keys are bigger. I am a very goood eagle search typer so I can bang out emails, text messages, and such. I can fire off three to five time the messages then someone who uses the number keys for messages. Especially if they learn to type by feel on a QWERTY keyboard.

I really would like to hear about blackberry user's I still have the opton to switch in May if I do not want to keep my iPhone.

Last edited by sparkyinak; 11/06/09 02:47 PM.

S
Currently, apple will not support Flash player or Java for the iPhone. They stated it's old technology. So much for posting in the forum here at ECN. bummer! You can post on the message board with it though. Sun Systems thinks they can make a Java program work but it appears that apple is dragging their heels on it.

Last edited by sparkyinak; 11/07/09 04:14 AM.

G
My wife is a Crackberry addict. She has a storm. It seems to do everything. Camera, GPS, internet, text, lots of computer aps and you can even make phone calls on it. The touch screen rotates automatically and emulates a qwerty.

Greg Fretwell
I phone = ATT = billing and coverage problems. Its to bad the I phone is really nice and what I wanted, but ATTwas a deal breaker. Just my opinion of course.
Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
N
Originally Posted by Obsaleet
I phone = ATT = billing and coverage problems. Its to bad the I phone is really nice and what I wanted, but ATTwas a deal breaker. Just my opinion of course.
Ob

AT&T is a real PITA, I can go from full bars to no service in a matter of a few feet.:(

I got the most basic cellphone I could, and it's just fine for me.
The camera's a nice feature, but I already have cameras, and never have used the one on my phone. I don't write text messages, so I don't need a big keypad.
I guess it all boils down to what features you feel you need as to what's the "best".

I've got Verizon Wireless service, and ATT service on my business phone, and I'm perfectly content with both. If I leave my business phone, I have all the calls forwarded directly to my cellphone, so I don't miss calls.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard