ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#189800 10/25/09 11:38 PM
M
Merlin Offline OP
Hello all:

I am working on a new grain handling installation on a farm requiring 3 phase 240 VAC. I will be installing a phase convertor on an 800 amp single phase service. I am looking for some good installation ideas. This is only the second install of this kind that I have done. I am excited about doing this job as it is a bare sight and will be all new installation. I want it to be as good as it can be.

Has anybody got any tips and/or pictures of some good installations or any ideas to stay away from? Thanks, Merlin.

F
The best way to get uilitzed the triphase equiment on single phase supply is get VFD { variable frequent drive } the cost is little cheaper than phase converter and plus what more you can able fine tune the equiment with VFD.

How big the unit it will be ?

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Tom Offline
I agree with Marc, going to a VFD can be the best option. This year, I've replaced some rotary phase converters with VFD's for one of my customers. A definite plus was being able to limit starting current & acceleration time. Now, his single phase standby generator can start all his 3 phase motors without having to stage them with time delay relays.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
J
The VFD is great. But it is only for motors not 3 phase systems. If all you need the three phase for is 3 phase induction motors then that is your best bet. If you plan to feed any other equipment a VFD will be useless.

M
Merlin Offline OP
The phase convertor is the way I am going for various reasons. It will be fed by a 1000 amp service. Has anybody got any tips or does/don'ts that I should know about? Pictures of other install would be great also. Thanks

F
Ok Merlin;

There are few golden rules if you use the phase conveters and there are two type of phase converters as you are aware one is rotary phase converter and second one is static phase converter.

Now one golden rules will cover both as you will aware the " manufactered " phase will produce wild leg { I will leave crazy name off from the list } so if any equiment that run on phase converters it don't matter if static or rotary double check the equiment connection requirement in case they required netural for any reason the phase A et C are standard format while phase B is wild one.
So just keep in your mind if you don't want magic smoke come out follow that golden rules with this.

Now for capaity with static and rotary you have to follow the manufacter instruction very carefull you do not undersize the horsepower rating ditto with frequent start et stop.

Just goggle " phase conveter " it will come up quite few list to give you some idea how to deal with it.

The Rotary verison somehow is better suited with super senstive loads and I know it useally cost more but far less issue with it it will make true triphase supply but the best is M-G { motor - generator } set up

I know other members will chime in with more info.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

T
Use a VFD set to 60 Hz...

If the three phase synthetic wave form is too rough -- send it through a delta-wye transformer and give yourself a sweet neutral grounded at this separately derived source.

Odds are, though, that your only three-phase loads are motor loads in which case a sequence of VFD's might be in order.

Tesla

Link Copied to Clipboard