ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 215 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
John,

Here is a new one. Someone called me up and asked if he ran a new circuit to the air conditioner, would it have to be Arc Fault. I said, I don't believe so why? He said the wire will run through a bedroom, so he thought it might have to be AFCI. I also had the same question from another EC about a pool. The wire for the pool will run through a bedroom. Is AFCI needed? Required?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
John,

Did you see the new Code Communicator? (CC) There is an article in there about AFCI and the rehab code Now according to that letter Suzanne wrote, the Rehab Code is suppose to follow the '05 code not the '08 as of now. Now with this new CC, that letter she wrote looks like it doesn't apply anymore. However I talked to a friend of mine that sits on the IAEI up here and he said that Suz B. was out of town when that CC was published. The CC was wrong, but now most AHJ's will not know what code to inspect by. Have you heard anything?

BTW Happy New Year to all out there. Let's hope for a happy and healthy one!

Harold:

Upon analasis of SB's letter, and the Rehab, and the '08 as amended here in NJ, I take this as my opinion until further info is presented:

Gut & rewire a SFD (all new wiring) '08 NEC.
Addition to SFD, all new wiring '08 NEC
New SFD, submitted > 10/06/09; '08 NEC

Panel/service change or upgrade; NO AFCI

That's it within my jurisdiction. The opinions of SB are just that, her opinion & interpertation, which we may or may NOT respect.

Wed. topic was a reply she gave to an EC re: 'addition' definition. Her 'has to increase footprint' is stone wrong. "An increase in volume" = addition.

PS: her comments re: Rehab are that the 'new' revised Rehab is still forthcoming, and the "Old" Rehab is still effective. To that I say, when the Rehab is inside the UCC update pages, or on the DCA site..is when it's effective.

John
H
John,

I will agree with you on the wiring for additions and new SFD and service changes, however as I see it, a gut and rewire falls under "Rehab" as does a new basement. The category for them is "Reconstruction". Now we will just have to wait and see what the "New" Rehab code says.

Why can't life be simple?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard