ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
What do you do to enclose the opening for the ground rod before the cement is poured??
2" pvc collar?? then have one 6ft. away for the other ground rod?? just wondering the different ways that are used? I tried to find it in the code where it requires it, but hadn't found it yet, but inspector said it was suppose to be done??? Thanks for the help.. Steve

S
i was under the assumption a concrete encased electrode did not need an accessible connection......

S
Sparky, last time I did a house and they poured a cement pad at the back, I drove the ground rod and run ground wire, then they poured the cement. When the inspector came and did my final, he said he would pass it this time, but said it should be accessable?? I can't find in the code where he's talking about. I figured he knew something I didn't.????? Steve....

C
All ya'll Sparks,
There was an earlier posting that went on for some time and I believe the subject was about the approved connector for the concrete encased ground rod/rebar and the bare ground wire and other driven ground rods.If you find it some of your question may be answered.
Chris

R
The exception to 250.68(A) says buried or encased connections are not required to be accessible. UL says that all ground clamps that are marked as suitable for direct burial, are also suitable for use in concrete.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
S
thank you Don

S
Thanks guys, I talked to the inspector today, and I think he was just meaning he wanted to See the connection first, before it was covered up. In my case of putting conduit under a slab for a sub panel to a separate building, I still left a 2" pvc "collar" in the form so He can see it when I have to drive the ground rod on the actual wiring of the building. He commented on going ahead and running the ground wire, but that would kind of be in the way of the concrete men pouring concrete, and also possibly damage the ground wire in the process of construction [Linked Image] Thanks for the input [Linked Image]
Steve

Link Copied to Clipboard