ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 526 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
I find it strange that any CAD program would screw up the receptacle placement on resi.
I have an ancient Windoze 3 version of 3D Architect that has always placed receptacles that meet 210.52(A). I never played with the "kitchen" on it so I am not sure if it is 210.52(B) aware.
It was interesting that Lee County took the plans I printed off of 3D architect for my addition (after the engineer stamped them) after 3 passes at plan review from his CAD program.
They may have just been tired of seeing me there tho.

My electrical plan went through on the first pass. wink

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Greg:
It's not so much that the CAD programs have an issue; it's more like the info isn't requested of the program(s)

John
L
We see an issue with emergency panels and what can be in them. There seems to be a problem with folks grasping Legally required, optional, and emergency systems ( art. 700,701 & 702). Commercial Kitchen GFCI protected outlets get missed on the drawings alot, Patient care areas of medical offices is another missed item on the drawings.

I'm amazed at the drawings that come for review and the one line diagrams don't match the equipment drawn. (One line shows a 200 ampere panelboard and the drawings call for a 150)

RH1 Offline
My biggest problem with Architects is when they foolishly try to impress me with their poor grasp of electrical code. Please Mr. Architect, I know which receptacles need to be GFI protected. I laughed out loud in an Architect's face last year when every fixture was called a "Luminairie". Recently I've noticed a trend of calling the Master Bedroom the "Master's Bedroom". This is creepy on many levels.

I have made a career out of wiring high end custom homes and and the caliber of Architects in this industry is appalling. These near-do-wells have just recently discovered AFCI circuits and now they must call out every AFCI outlet in the house, it's so annoying, they are so convinced their code knowledge is superior to mine, I never miss an opportunity to embarrass one in front of the customer.

I was walking a job with one I call "Little Lord Faultleroy", a polished dandy with a brain as small as his bank account is large. He wanted Halo fluorescent cans with 100 watt lamps. Even had it on the plans. I informed this well coiffed clod that there was no such thing. He said he knew more about lighting than I did and that he would produce a catalog cut for me. I wound up installing 26 watt lamps, he never responded to request for the cuts...

I have never, in 30 years in construction, met an Architect that was not a poser or an outright impostor.

Last edited by RH1; 01/03/10 09:12 PM.
G
I worked with 1 Architect who absolutely floored me.

He asked if my Electric Closet was large enough, he went out of his way to stack them so I had a riser shaft, he pitched a fit when the other trades tried to run pipes through the room...so I asked the obvious question.

He had put himself through Architectural school with money that he made working construction for an Electrical Contractor between semesters.

He was the first (and so far the only) guy in that business I ever met who had a friggin' clue what we go through every day.

Ghost307
A quick comment on a job in review now (still)
Plans sealed by Arch & signed; 4th or 5th rev of E pages, one of which arrived today. Load calcs in panel schedule have math errors (addition). 225 amp fuses in 200 amp disco; 4x4/0 in 1-1/2" 'condit'....etc., etc.

John
H
John,

Do you ever get a good plan on the grounding, especially isolated grounding systems? I had several plans for schools which didn't even show anything about the ground system.

harold:
Yes, on occasion a really good (overboard) grounding (oops earthing) plan comes in.

Basically, IF 250 is not addressed on comm plans, it gets a reject letter. Most of the EE/PE/Arch include 250 items on the plans, and a lot of 'boiler plate' spec within the notes.

BTW, I just opened responses to a Nov. '09 rejection that is resubmitted, and it is going back to the reject pile, along with the appropriate letters.

John
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Everyone;
Thanks so much for contributing to this discussion! We are getting some applicable topics to discuss, along with some "Good - vs - Bad" Plan submissions.

I would like to post a recently completed Plan Set for your review and opinions. Plan Sheets will be PDFs, with a link to the files (uploaded to my website).
First I need to mask or remove the Client's information, and the Building Department information too.

This Electrical Design-Build Project is a good example of a complex Electrical System, within an older, existing Light Industrial Building.

The most satisfying elements of this particular Project have been:

1: Received compliments from the Plans Examiner (Examiner was very appreciative of contents),

2: Inspections went very smoothly (ease of coordination between Plans -vs- Field Conditions, panel labeling + directories coordinate with Plans, aux. documents available for review),

3: Client is extremely satisfied with complete Design-Build, and has suggested our Services to others,

4: Project was profitable.

The Project was an Industrial T.I. within an existing 12,800 sq. ft. Concrete Tilt-Up, built in 1956.

Existing to remain Services (2):
a: 400 Amp; 120/240V 1Ø 3W "Lighting" Service - with KWH Meter,

b: 400 Amp; 240V 3Ø 3W "Power" Service - with KWH Meter...
(both Services derived from a single 4 wire Delta Pole mounted Transformer setup - supplied by the local Utility).

Client equipment includes:
a: (2) 40 HP Air Compressors, with 460V 3 Phase Squirrel Cage Motors (both run coincidentally > 3 Hours per day, 6 days a week),

b: (2) Sand Blast Booths, with 7.5 HP 230V 3 Phase Dust Collection Motors (both used coincidentally, > 3 Hours per day, 6 days a week),

c: (2) Gas Ovens with 5 HP 230V 3 Phase Blower Motors (both used coincidentally, > 3 Hours per day, 6 days a week),

d: (1) Paint Spray Booth, with 7.5 HP 230V 3 Phase Motor (used > 3 Hours per day, 6 days a week),

e: (4) 30 Amp, 120V "Warmers" - for fabrics and PVC setting (used >3 Hours per day, 6 days a week),

f: (1) 5 HP, 230V 3 Phase Banding Machine (used 15 min. per Hour, 6 days a week),

g: Misc. 120V < 20 Amp loads (intermittent, 6 days a week).

Design included a new 480V SDS for the Air Compressors:
240V Delta Primary x 480V 3 Phase 3 Wire Corner Grounded Delta Secondary (Phase "B" = Grounded Conductor).

Client builds and repairs Indoor & Outdoor Metallic Furniture - of medium to large sizes. Staff is active 6 days per week, 7.5 Hours per day (1/2 hr lunch). Equipment is in use up to 85% of the day, Monday through Saturday (excluding Holiday periods).

Will post link as soon as possible.
Looking for any and all comments + critique.

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Scott:
Based on the above...
1: Congrats on the success.
2: I would be a happy guy IF I got info that you listed in the above post, as opposed to...3 exhaust fans?? and two rooftop HVAC units!

John
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard