ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
So, As an electrical contractor, I was asked by a family friend to install a phone system.
I installed the NEC DSX 40 system and have it all and running with the exception of the voice mail...
I bought the intramail card and installed it.
I downloaded the DSX system administrator software and I tried to connect to the system. I was unable to connect to the system.
Is there a way to set up the voicemail from the administrator phone or do I have to set up a server for the system?
The last phone system I installed I vowed to never do it again, however, as I said, a family friend on a tight budget asked if I could help.
Thanks for the help...

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
I've been a telecom business owner for more years than I can count. I'm proficient on several systems but NEC and others are not on the list. Anytime I'm asked to service one of those systems I know enough to stay away from it even though unlike you I do have access to whatever information I would need. The operative words here are "know" and "enough". I'm smart enough to know that even with someone to answer my questions I would not be competant to work on a system I'm not experienced with.

Apparently you bought that system off the internet from an unauthorized source. There is a reason that NEC is only supposed to be sold and installed by a certified dealer and you are finding that out. Whatever shyster sold it to you is the only person making out on this deal. He has your money and you have something that was never intended for sale to the general public which you will not be unable to make work.

He's probably laughing his ass off depositing your check right now.

-Hal

R
Thanks for the reply Hal,
The system was bought from an authorized dealer who has given me assisitance, short of coming out and doing it, in setting it up. Being understanding of my situation, they gave me the names of a few guys familiar with the system. I wanted to see if there was something else I could do before I call them in. I'm sure they will get into the system and have it set up in a couple hours and I would be greatful.
If I do not get any guidence here then I will call them.
Just trying to save a friend a couple dollars if it were something I could get up and running.

W
You can program it all from a phone, it can be set up with a laptop by way of a usb port. Go to the NEC web site and down load a manual if you do not have one. Its BIG about 500 pages. There are lots of options that have to be set up such as auto attendent, each extention has a voice mailbox as well as a group mailbox. You cannot program the message by way of a laptop, but it is easy to program extentions and voice mail options by way of a computer. All programming is saved as a file and downloaded into the KSU. This allows programming without taking the system off line. Robert

Link Copied to Clipboard