ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
There is a study out there that came up over RX in foamed penetrations.(334.80)

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/NEMA%20Romex%20in%20foam%20study.pdf

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Tesla, your concern is not completely unfounded.

NEMA, however, has issued a letter on the matter. After various tests, etc., it was determined that foam insulation posed no particular cause for concern. The jacket was NOT harmed by the foam chemicals, and there was NOT excessive heating on properly sized wires.

I agree that expanding foams are very combustible.

Last edited by gfretwell; 10/04/09 07:44 PM. Reason: Fix link
RH1 Offline
Originally Posted by nhsparky
she asked him if they could fill the electrical boxes. He said he could and he did!

She asked for it, he did it. Had she asked to have all the plumbing vent stacks sealed with foam, he would have done that too.

If he refused, she would have found someone else to do it. The customer is always right.

Z
It seems accessibility would also be an issue,which would be in direct NEC violation. You'd have to pry out an outlet and the wire for service and/or inspection. I don't like it.

As for peope letting drywall mud and paint into panels, almost every interior panel I've opened that was installed prior to 1980 has an absurd amount of crap in it. Apparently they had not heard of masking off anything that the buyer would not normally see before purchasing the house. This usually includes te busses as well!

K
I imagine he also insulated all of the switch boxes as well?
The guy probably thought the orange fire stop expanding spray foam that they sell at HD and Lowe's was just perfect for the task at hand. I'd hate to be the guy who has to clean out all those boxes... that stuff dries really hard, almost like structural spray foam... and what about dimmer switches, etc., when they start overheating. eek

You never know these days though. This insulation guy might end up being considered a pioneer and nominated for the next Nobel Peace Prize.

S
I am sure the foam issue is not an issue in the walls. the OP was foam in the in the box itself which is not mentioned in the NEMA study.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
W
I've seen instructions on the cans of spray foam saying not to use it inside electrical boxes. So it's definitely not "listed for the purpose"...

C
arent they supposed to label the cans "fill around electrical boxes and penetrations"?

J
Accessibility. If this foam gets hard, the conductors are no longer accessible.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard