ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (ampherder, Scott35), 259 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
K
KJay Offline OP
I was just wondering about something I noticed while looking over 225 of the '08 NEC.

225.21 Multiconductor Cables on Exterior Surfaces of Buildings.
Supports for multiconductor cables on exterior surfaces of buildings shall be as provided in 230.51.

230.51 references,
[A] Service Cables...
[B] Other Cables... not approved for mounting in direct contact with a building...
[C] Individual Open Conductors ... shall be installed in accordance with Table 230.51[C]...

What does this mean if for some reason you need to install 14/3 UF branch circuit wiring on the exterior of a building?
Is it required to be supported as SE cable? Meaning within 12-inches from a raceway or enclosure and then at interval of not more than 30-inches.

Art. 340 doesn't seem to reference support of UF cables other than by cable tray or unless it is being installed as NM cable.
Would using UF outside a building qualify as installing it as NM cable? Since NM wouldn’t be allowed outside.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I would say the 08 code says this was a cable installed on the outside surface of a building and it should be supported 12" from the box and 30" along the run. Wind load alone would make this a minimum requirement IMHO.
If anything the 14-2 UF would be more at risk of flapping around than SE.

Greg Fretwell
K
KJay Offline OP
That's what it sounds like to me as well. I have to admit though, I've never really given 225.21 and using UF cable much thought together, since normally the only cables I attach to outside of buildings are usually SE/SER, coax and/or telephone, but it's good to know anyway, should the need ever arise.

This also gets me wondering if standard steel #12 or #15 staples like we use for NM cables in dry locations are actually listed or otherwise designed for use outside to secure UF cables to buildings. I've seen them used for this, but they always seem to be rusting quite badly.
I know that my local supply house now carries stainless steel #15 staples, which I assume would be designed for indoor/outdoor use, but not sure about this.

G
Strapping outside is always a problem. The white nylon straps with 2 nails won't hold up to the sun, regular steel will be bleeding rust in a month around here, galvanized will buy you a few years but it will still be showing pinhole rust after a while. PVC is corrosion resistant but the UV protection of the straps seems to be weak to non-existent. I actually had a Carlon rep tell me the listing standard did not require U/V protection on straps and covers so they didn't do it. That may have changed since then (6 - 8 years ago).
I always had a lot of tolerance for improvisation in the strapping methods if they seemed secure and more weather tolerant than the products we have in the marketplace.

Greg Fretwell
I seem to remember there was/is 'straps' for flat cable (UF/NMC) that were around years back. Possibly cad plated.

The rust situation was something that was not considered by the installer back then. And, UV degradation was a term that was non-existant.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard