ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cat Servant
Here is a pic of a panel I recently saw. The sump pit is more than 36" from the wall, but that discharge pipe does cross the required 'working space:'

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Some might argue that having the pipe there is a good thing, as it will discourage folks from stacking stuff in front of the panel. Others might see the pit as blocking access to the panel. (FWIW, you can NOT stand on that pit cover). What say you?

G
I would like to see a cover you could stand on but I would have a hard time citing it.
The pipe is a trip hazard tho and you do not have "clear space". That would need to be fixed

Greg Fretwell
G
I think that adding an elbow to the discharge pipe to kick it to the left would get it out of the way and get the trip-free workspace that we would all prefer.
The only tripping hazard then would be the cords to the sump pump, but I should think we be able to work around that easily enough.
BTW, in my stepfather's house we put the sump pit (with a sturdy cover) right in front of the panel...nothing ever got stored there.

Ghost307
G
A more elegant solution would be a wooden platform (a pallet?) over the whole mess that would be removable to service the sump and give a good non-conductive work surface but that is far beyond what an inspector could request.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
The irony is that - whether you move the pipe orbuild a platform - you'll also make the place 'just rigt' for storing the Christmas decorations.

The Christmas decorations can be moved. The pipe is a permanent obstruction.

If there's going to be a workspace violation anyway, I'd rather move the Christmas decorations.

Either way this is not a "good" thing.

An 'existing' condition in a large townhouse complex (+/- 350 units). The pit is there, the discharge is off to the right, so no trip. Some have Greg's idea of a 'platform', some have fitted covers that are part of the radon remediation, some have...nothing!

As Electure said...stored items can be moved, although it a pain in the butt; and two existing 'wrongs' can be corrected.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard