ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Originally posted in the Photo Gallery by: LAKETRAVISKID

Just ran across this, Looks pretty

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Interesting; one utility drop....four (4) risers into the troff(s) 23 meters (plus 1 with panel underneath, on a seperate riser.

Talk about stretching the 'six switch rule?

What say you gentlemen??

LakeTraviskid:

Where is this, and is it a townhouse/condo??

John
G
The condo I had in the St Pete area had 18 meters and disconnects with no "main" (17 units and a house panel). I was never sure how they got away with that either.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
I say: VIOLATION, big time!

They want to claim that each drop is allowed to have six meters without needing a disconnect? I'm not buying that - I'd expect to see, at minimum, four disconnects, each feeding six meters.

Better yet would be a single disconnect, feeding meter stacks, with the appropriate bussbars. (I'd really, really hate to try to split off 24 meters from one wire using split bolts!) Or, it might be a use for those new full-current rated insulation-piercing connectors; after all, you'd be tapping down from BFW-mcm to tiny #3 laugh

(Moderators' Note: BFW = Big Fat Wire)

I also have problems with different drops going into the same gutter.

I am simply stunned that the PoCo allowed this.

Besides the POCO blessing.....how did it pass NEC??? The 6 switch rule's been around longer than the buliding IMHO.

John
what this could potentially be....

4 paralleled SE-R cables feeding, lets say 500 MCM running the length of the gutter, 23 meters and disco's kearney'd off the 500 mcm at various points... eek crazy I'd be very leery of what's in the gutter...

there appears to be at least 2 triplexes paralleled up there sorted out in some manner...

Does this Lake Travis area have municipal inspections or do they work off the "call the poco on your own for hookup and if it doesn't launch the pole mount into a neighboring county, they'll connect" plan?

T
This could also be 4 individual gutters butted up against each other, each with a service drop, and 5-6 meters.

OK, discussion time...
Multi troffs of 'x' feet, butted together, each having an SEU entering, and taps to the meters, COULD be a possibility....from viewing the pics & noting the cover seams.

However, this seems to be a single structure, although I have to stress the word 'appears'

Six switch rule should still prevail?

John
L
My bet is, the structure is a motel that got converted to individual apartments.

Larry C

Cat Servant
I would maintain that, even if multipme structures are involved, that the 'six throws' rule still applies. It's still one service, at one location, with lots of meters.

Even if there were two true services - say, of different voltages - I'd expect the total number of "main" disconnects to be six or less.

Speaking academically, I would accept contactors on those feeds, with the coils switched by the 'main disconnect' switch. This would possibly reduce the expence of providing a ridiculously large single switch.

Yet, I have seen literally thousands of apartment buildings with more than 25 individually metered units, and a single main disconnect, so the disconnects are readily available.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard