ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#188339 08/01/09 06:08 AM
P
pdh Offline OP
How many have seen this video showing a flatter BS 1363 plug?

pdh #188342 08/01/09 02:09 PM
G
Interesting. Thanks. Some really ingenious thought has gone into that.
It's slightly worrying though that the live is illustrated as the blue core, and having watched the animated assembly several times I can't work out which pin the fuse finishes up connected to!
Another thought is that on a lap-top I use, the power supply is half way up the cord, and at least twice the size of the plug.

P
pdh Offline OP
Obviously, the twisting of the current carrying pins will have to work only in a specific direction to avoid reversing live and grounded.

pdh #188348 08/01/09 07:05 PM
Will it get B.S. approval for 13Amps, that's the crux? It's ingenious, not a doubt, but that pivot and the sliding contacts look weak and could be its achilles heel, especially when someone starts bashing them out for 50 cents apiece west of Java.

And how will we brain rhinos if it gets approved? dunno

Wood work but can't!
D
djk Offline
I have never understood why the EU doesn't simply mandate that all appliances be fitted with IEC 60906-1 plugs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60906-1.

Then produce a design for a system of adaptors which provide the same level of safety as a normal plug/socket arrangement, but are snap-on (semi-permanent). These could be used with Schuko or BS1363 outlets without any major fuss.

Also, the IEC 60906 socket allows for the 2-pin Europlugs to be polarised, by slightly changing their body shape so that they only fit in one way into the IEC 60906 recessed outlets. They would remain non-polarised when used with schuko, but would be polarised with the new sockets thus complying with any countries which require polarisation e.g the UK and Ireland.

Such a system would mean that appliances like laptops, mobiles etc could be carried in a case and used with a single powerstrip in the UK, thus avoiding the need for all these slimed down plugs and other workarounds.

You'd only have to carry a single BS1363 plug.

Actually, I know one guy who bought laptop cables in Italy and uses an Italian powerstrip when traveling to avoid bulk!

British/Irish:

[Linked Image from blogcdn.com]

Italian:
[Linked Image from shopdolce.com]

He just picked up the italian version of his laptop cable and the rest are standard 2-pin Europlug.

Last edited by djk; 08/31/09 08:48 AM.
djk #188759 08/31/09 01:16 PM
U
djk - I agree entirely with you on the IEC plugs. After all, we already get a LOT of europlugs and schuko plugs on appliances now. These are fitted with exactly the clip on adaptors you are talking about - I presume you have the same situation in Ireland too. They could make exactly the same thing to convert IEC to schuko, or indeed any other outlet. In fact, Power Connections in the UK do that very thing already - so IEC plug here we come ( I hope ) :-)

uksparx #188766 08/31/09 06:51 PM
W
I've come across those clip on adapters on radios, TV's etc. BUT I would never buy one. They cost about three times as much as a BS 1363 plug.

D
djk Offline
That's only because someone's ripping of.
They're not THAT expensive.
B&Q try over here charge €38 euro (which is £33.40 ) for a MK non-transformer shaver socket.!

djk #188769 08/31/09 07:53 PM
U
The thing is, you (the customer) don't buy them, the manufacturer pre-fits them, so no real extra cost. Plus, if you do buy them they are only about 80pence - and that's buying them singly, get a box full and they would be much cheaper, if a manufacturer buys them, how little will they pay???
You're right Dave, there is a lot of rip off with some retailers, that seems extortionate for that shaver socket!!!

uksparx #188770 08/31/09 08:16 PM
You never need to get ripped off [so much!] if you are prepared to wait a few days and have broadband ADSL. In the last week I have bought diesel burner spare nozzles for $3.50 in New York [ local supplier wants €15 each ], and a new Danfoss oil-pump from Germany [US is cheaper but they have NPT threads] at a massive 50% saving. P&P is usually peanuts for US mail and Postie does all the humping about! From outside of the EU, BTW, if the insured value is less than €20, there are no customs duties to pay, and of course, no VAT or local taxes! My range stove was bought online from Sainsbury's Electrical £400 cheaper than Curry's. Needed a bit of creative thinking to get it here, [ it hitched a lift on a Removals truck, cost me £30 for a 'drink'!]. I've had one fraud, but West Sussex police collared 'em pdq and I got a refund from Amex. Now I try to use Paypal.

As to new plug designs, the problem is always going to be the cost of rewiring houses, especially the getting rid of the archaic ringmain/fused plug concept.

Last edited by Alan Belson; 08/31/09 08:18 PM.

Wood work but can't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard