ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
I typically use compact aluminium SER just for feeders. In residential, strictly copper in comerical.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
We still see circuits for heat pumps/AC units and electric furnaces wired with aluminum SE cable here. This is especially true in newer construction. I haven't checked the price difference between 2/3 SEU in copper vs: aluminum in quite some time. Copper seems to be the norm for ranges and dryers though.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
T
twh Offline
Originally Posted by gfretwell
One thing a lot of people seem to ignore is that most lugs are aluminum. It would seem (as Alcan, among others will say) aluminum wire performs better in these lugs than copper.
Tin plated, I think.

twh #188841 09/06/09 02:19 PM
G
Not the ones I see. They are solid aluminum alloy. Scratch one and see.

Greg Fretwell
E
The only tin plated ones that I've ever seen are copper and are only rated for copper conductors. They are just copper lugs that look silver.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
G
I have never seen a contactors in an air conditioner condenser that is suitable for Aluminum wire terminations or for that matter a cooking appliance. That's why the cooking appliances have whips and the air conditioners are wired to the disconnect with Aluminum and the whip from the disconnect to the condenser is copper. I've not seen any contactors that say suitable for aluminum wire. Maybe I've led a sheltered life but I doubt it.

George Little
G
I agree, I was talking about the "CU/AL" lugs and bus bars in the panelboard where feeders land.

Greg Fretwell
T
twh Offline

twh #188861 09/07/09 10:13 PM
G
There are numerous situations where the equipment will specify "Copper conductors only". I've had inspections where the contractor will install a lug that is CU/AL rated and attempt to use Aluminum wire. Won't pass under my watch. I recently (about 3 mo. ago) had a steamer made by Jucuzzi that specified 105° Copper wire for the hook up to the appliance. Contractor had to hustle around and find said wire in #6 awg.

George Little
S
Steve T Offline OP
Did the topic change or am I misunderstanding the replies?

Can someone give me an example of applying section 110.5? Why is it in the code?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard