ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 265 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Cat Servant
That's one devil of a place for a crack! I would not be surprised if many poles have paint hiding the evidence.

Just a little note: If you have a repair like this to make, have a CERTIFIED weldor do it! That is, one specifically government licensed for structural welding. Do not use just any clown who claims to know how to wled, or who claims that 'school taught us to those standards,' etc. Get the real deal.

As to where to find the 'real deal:' .... that's one thing certain Unions have going for them (Pipefitters' is one). The man's union card will be specifically endorsed for every kind of welding for which the man is qualified.

W
Holy cow!!! I've personally had to respond to a supermarket ,coiencidentally right on the beach. where the 30' light poles were all starting to rot at the base. One actually fell inbetween 2 parked cars. I had to disconnect the circuits feeding the light and passing through it, and but a temporary juntion box upon the footing. it was a big mess with glass and ballast parts all over the parkibng lot.luckily nobody was hurt, but it could have been a disaster. the pole actually tore away from the base, kind of like an aluminum soda can will rip if you twist it.

Cat Servant
I've dealt with fallen light poles a number of times ... all much shorter poles, and all hit by cars. Such experiences, if nothing else, really showcase the importance of having a junction box next to the pole, and using NSI-type connectors.

You bring up a real good point: corrosion. The best pole won't last forever; every pole (make note to myself) ought to be checked every time you replace a bulb.

Originally Posted by renosteinke
Just a little note: If you have a repair like this to make, have a CERTIFIED weldor do it! That is, one specifically government licensed for structural welding. Do not use just any clown who claims to know how to wled, or who claims that 'school taught us to those standards,' etc. Get the real deal.

Exactly John,
I think back to all the money I've spent on getting NZS 4711 (Structural welding) and it is an on-going thing to
continually say that you hold them certifications(there are different certifications for different weld processes (Stick,MIG and TIG (although TIG is not used in structural stuff, there is a need for certification of those that weld food containers and pipe work that carries edible liquids) and "positions".

Not only is this for you to be taught to weld correctly (which 9/10th's of is actually being able to set the welder so that it will provide the best weld quality, for the given task), but it also includes detailed analysis of samples of welded joints provided by the applicant.

Sure, at the end of the day, no weld is in-fallible, but having monitoring of those that do welding that needs to be of a certain standard, helps to minimise the risk of things breaking un-necessarily.

Link Copied to Clipboard