ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#188627 08/21/09 02:34 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
This pic was submitted by Paulusgnome.

He'd like to know what this plug is and what it is used for?

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

G
I'm not sure what you are plugging in but it looks like a "full boat" plug (3p wye with a neutral and a ground).
I am not sure what the NEMA number is but I have seen them.
Somebody screwed up and ordered a 100a full boat IEC309R for something once. I may still have it in my junk pile somewhere.

Greg Fretwell
L
Not being able to read the specs and not recognizing it, I will speculate that it is used in North America. Probably meant for equipment used in a relatively clean and dry environment like a cleanroom or laboratory.

Am I correct?

M
It is not a NEMA configuration. It might be a configuration related to OTHER approved types. It does look like a plug you might see on something from Europe but there are also Calofornia configurations too. I'd guess it is about a 30 amp plug with a ground, neutral and 3 phase conductors. Not a normal shore power configuration for RV or Boats. I'd guess data processing gear. but definitely something that needs a neutral.

N
Originally Posted by mikesh
It is not a NEMA configuration. It might be a configuration related to OTHER approved types. It does look like a plug you might see on something from Europe but there are also Calofornia configurations too. I'd guess it is about a 30 amp plug with a ground, neutral and 3 phase conductors. Not a normal shore power configuration for RV or Boats. I'd guess data processing gear. but definitely something that needs a neutral.

Calofornia?:D The "California configurations" are locking type & are noted when you you see a "CS"( California Standard) prefix in a catalog number.

What biz it is of the State of Caliifornia to establish configuration standards I dunno.......

L
3 phase-5 wire-no less than 60A.
My gut says not American. So no other guesses.

{edited to take out insults}

Last edited by Trumpy; 08/22/09 02:51 AM. Reason: See above
Looks like a Nema 18-20 with a ground pin

Trumpy Offline OP
Folks,
Bear in mind that Paulusgnome (Mark) is from New Zealand and the fact that this plug has shielded pins (ie: if you look closely, there is a plastic coating that is part of the pins, IMO, I doubt that would ever fly in the US).
To my way of thinking, them pins are only good for the carrying of 10A max, if that.

So, there you are, where are you? grin

R
Interesting plug Mike, I second your thoughts here 3 phase 10 Amps max. Shielded phase pins, perhaps Chinese ??

Also moulded design, that type would be a pain to wire up because it is so compact. ( 5 wires ).

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
P
Thanks for having a look at this, it had us quite mystified.

I am told by my customer that it may have a rating of 7A.

My wife, who works in IT, swears that she has seen something quite similar in a UPS, but she couldn't be any more specific than that.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark aka Paulus
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard