ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Y
Per experience Wheres the best location to place RV power Pedestials on each site.
551.77 prehaps

Last edited by Yoopersup; 08/21/09 05:30 PM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
I like to place them at the end of the space, off to one side, facing to the front. I don't want the trailer being backed into the, I don't want them to be lost in the bushes on the blind side, and I do want them accessible to the tenant.

S
We place them based on 551.77 tempered with 2008 NFPA 1194 "Standard for Recreational Vehicle Parks and Campgrounds." So why do I bring this up? NEC requires 5'-7' from the side and 1194 5.2.2.2 requires instead that it be 4' - 6' which means that they can only be 5' to 6' to the stand.

I also chuckle because I've seen parks that once you place the assembly that far from the pad that it could easier be used by the neighbors stand (at least the picnic table).

I would not place them behind the stand, besides not an approved spot and people backing into them, of all things my sister-in-laws trailers slide out is of all things out the back side.

If they are near even with the rear of the pad (back 0'-5'), to have them facing forward is a good idea.

' - means foot. I thought about metric conversion but I am to lazy.

K
Power hookups are typically on the left side of the RV.

I don't know much about RV's so pardon my ignorance, but aren't there 2 ways to drive an RV in, forwards and backing in? dunno

S
Typically there are two types of RV pads: pull through and back-in sites. My comments are based only on US installations where we drive on the right side of the road and the electrical connection on the RV and at thte site are on the left side (drivers side).

With pull through sites you are limited to only using those on your side of the road for two-way traffic roads, but typically the sites are designed for one-way traffic only. Pull through sites are designed for pulling in forward only, though you could back in which would be silly.

Back-in sites are design with an angle which if looked at from above point in the direction of traffic flow. To pull in forward you would likely jack knife your trailer and depending on the slope of the entrance and how much attetion you are paying, you may bust out the rear window of your pickup if towing a 5th wheel.

Things were designed this way because if you pull in forward to a back-in site style, you block access to your means of transportation.

Thanks for the question. We tend to forget everyone is not familiar with what others of us take for granted.

Link Copied to Clipboard