ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 250 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Y
Feeders Can be derated by number .551.73 Table.
Is it one feeder when you use pass thur lugs at each pedestial??or go by number of Pedestial?? I'd say 3 pedestails = 80% on feeder.
Also when you have 3 and use 80% do you still have to go by 125% load for continous duty??Another words (load 9600VA x 3 = 2880 x 80%= 23040 Divided by 240 = 96 amps.
then 96 x 125 % continious duty = 120 amps. I think you stop at 96 amps.
This is using Pass thur lugs at each Pedestail rated for amperage passing thru.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
This is a feeder and the pedestals are feeder taps.
I agree you can use the table as your "design guide" but do it at your peril. The guys in the Florida park system will tell you these new RVs can use a significant part of their power cord rating and when you have a full house, those tables may not get you enough power to get through the night.

Greg Fretwell
Y
There going with 100% 50 amp plugs way over the 20% code requires. Most RV parks nowadays have 80 to 100 % 50 amp Ped. Codes way behind in the area.

G
It may not be a big issue up there in the UP but the A/C units in those big "pushers" can really drag down a feeder.
That seems to be the biggest single addition to the load in an RV park. Lights and TVs are minimal, "heating" appliances are usually gas.
It is when you have a hot night and every buttons up and turns on the "air" that voltages sag.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
My experiences this past year suggest that this is an area that really, really needs to be addressed- by code panels, code enforcement, and park managers.

Power runs that usually have no problem supplying a dozen spaces are tripping out with just one or two "RV's" plugged in. Some of these monsters have, besides air conditioning, every appliance known to man - including hot tubs.

Internet sites are awash in clever ways to either bypass the OCPD, or to draw power from multiple circuits - or even to cobble a generator onto the PoCo feed. Codes? Safety? What do you want - it works, don't it?

Nor are park operators innocent. I just left a fur-ball where the park owner has been sneaking mobile homes into RV spaces.

As best I can tell, your typical park has an over-stressed service the day it opens.

G
There is a loophole in the HUD regs that allows you to call a sub-standard mobile home an RV just to get around stricter requirements. Some of that may be going on too.
I know because they tricked my son in law into buying one. We were just lucky that they never got hit by any kind of storm (fire or whatever)before they could dump it and buy a real house.

Greg Fretwell
W
Down here in the Gulf coast, From Galveston Tx and eastward, there are 100s of FEMA supplied trailers. They were supplied by FEMA after hurricane Rita and then IKE. Many of them are set up in the front yard of a damaged home. The electrical feeds span from a code approved connection (In the city of Galveston as an example) to wires stuck on a buss bar of a disconnect on the side of a flood (salt water) damaged home. Most were only supposed to be used for 4-6 mo. till the home could be rebuilt or repaired. Rita hit in 2005, Ike 2008, most are still here.

Link Copied to Clipboard