ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 259 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#188551 08/17/09 01:28 PM
Hi all,
I'm the "Warehouse Manager" (read as driver/tool repair/materials coordinator/inventory/etc) for a mid-size commercial/industrial elec. contractor in Western PA. Among the myriad of things that fall under my list of responsibilities is managing our scrap material (mostly wiring), be it left-overs, or demo material, etc.
My basic issue is this. Currently all these materials are being brought back to my warehouse, and I'm stockpiling them until I have a reasonable volume to take to a scrap metals dealer. This created a few issues, one, I don't have a ton of space, and storing this material eats it up. Two, we're handling this scrap a minimum of 4 times before it gets to a scrapyard, so I'm getting entirely too much labor involved in it.
To further compound the problem, the only 'local' scrap dealer is paying poor prices relative to others within say 25-35 miles, however, the nearest alternatives are approaching 25 or so miles away. We did contact one of these other dealers about possible pick-up of material, however they want to be able to pick up something along the lines of a roll-off, volume-wise, and I do not have the space to either keep such a container secure until it would be filled, or to stockpile said material until I would have that volume.
What are those of you out there in similar situations doing to manage this issue? I'm just looking for some ideas, as right now it's a horribly in-efficient process for us, and I want to do something better.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
G
You are at the root of the problem in all recycling programs. The value of the scrap seldom justifies the labor involved unless you are a bulk dealer moving a truckload at a time or a homeless person.

Greg Fretwell
S
If you do not have a space for a palletize create or drum, how about a space in the lot for a trailer? This way it can be handled as little possible. Another option is there is always someone in the neighborhood that would be more then willing to take your scraps off of your hand. If you are spending a dollar to save a dime, that is a losing proposition unless you work for the government. crazy

I personally just scrap anything smaller then #8 if I can not reasonbly use. It is not worth the time and hassle. I all for recycling but at the same time, i can not see paying more then what I am getting out of it.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
T
I give away the branch circuit scrap to reward employees.

Feeder scrap ( #4 on up ) is recycled to suit my available hours. Fortunately for me the local scrap house is aside the I-50 freeway and down the road from my distributors.

Still, it's wasted time: it' takes way too much time for me.

As often as not I give the scrap away to charity and take the full value deduction on my 1040.

Everything goes double for aluminum scrap. I give it away; my time is too valuable.

Tesla
G
Try calling your local Salvation Army or Goodwill, they may be able to help you. Scout troops might be interested too.

Sometimes not getting what you want can be an incredible stroke of luck.
G
I set scrap wire out next to my trash cans The drivers throw them up in the cab so I assume they are recycling them. I may not get anything for it but you can't have too much good will with the trash guys. They haul away lots of stuff for me that is not exactly within the guidelines.
An example; They hauled off a square and a half of roof when I did my addition.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard