ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 473 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
For those wanting to know my preferred method of bringing power to a pole, click on this sketch:

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Last edited by renosteinke; 09/20/09 05:13 PM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I prefer to keep my "in ground" boxes to a minimum, bringing the conduits directly into the poles.

It's not only more cost effective that way, the connections aren't underground.

Cat Servant
I can appreciate the 'clean' results you get, and handholes certainly are expensive (Even a box store version will set you back $30). My way is just the result of too many gnarly repair jobs.

That is, I've had the power run be damaged many times, usually because the feed was simple UF, run just under the sod frown. With the small size of most handholes - and many poles lack even small handholes - making splices in the poles can be a challenge. Of course, if there is no 'sweep' going into the pole, there will be no way to re-pull the wires (either because of a sharp bend under the pole, or because of the concrete around the pole).

Often I'll encounter some attempt to use "Bell boxes" for the connections. I don't like the boxes when mounted on the side of the pole, because of support issues, vulnerability to damage, and difficulty in fishing wire. Placing a "Bell box" either in the ground, or in the concrete, is unsuitable for the same reasons, plus the added issues of corrosion, and the fact they fill with water and muck anyway.

Finally, I've encountered several instances of wires either shorting, or actually breaking, inside poles. Without a pull point nearby, you're in for a nasty job.

Between careless drivers, demented gardeners, and simple bad luck, pole lights are one instance where Murphy was an optomist. laugh

G
I think that PVC terminal adapter is not listed for the purpose. Matter of fact, I'm surprised that the flex didn't just pull out of the glued fitting before the TA snapped at the pole.
A proper sealtight fitting should be used.

I believe the reason glue on adapters are NOT listed for sealtite is because you can't remove them. I know if you do a good job of gluing them on they won't come off, even with 80 PSI of water pressure and flexing. (RNC, LNFC feeding a hose bib on a floating dock for the U/V protection)
The spa guys use "spa flex" that is basically white sealtite for spa plumbing. They do use primer tho.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard