ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#188446 08/09/09 02:52 AM
M
I am starting to get into pulling in some "spare" fiber in residences for future uses (mainly sending HD video from sources to TV's that are far away). My problem is that I have never terminated a fiber connector. The training and tooling for some of this is prohibitive if you only do a few dozen terminations a year. Is there a low cost connector/tooling solution that I could teach myself? If not, how do I find somebody I could sub this out to?

Hopefully some of you have more experience with this than I.

Mike

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
It might be easier just to run smurf and let the customer decide if they want fiber or a copper solution later. I am not sure what the current policy is but when I was doing telecom wiring they wanted fiber in a raceway anyway, just for protection. That may have changed..

Greg Fretwell
C
I am not sure what the current policy is but when I was doing telecom wiring they wanted fiber in a raceway anyway, just for protection. That may have changed..

Even past their demarcation point? Around here the norm is that telco assumes responsibility up the point of service entrance and its your baby from that point forward. They will of course make it their problem for a fee.

Not that I would argue against putting anything that is either expensive to run or an unknown as far as future utility goes in a pipe. That's the best future-proofing you can get.

What is the norm around here (and we are somewhat behind the times) is to pull a basic RG6/cat5 system, nothing fancy unless someone is paying for it, and let the people they hire (cable/sat) terminate it. We do install phone jacks to save the end user the expense it would cost to have ATT cross the thresh hold but the TV guys have to come in anyway.

I would install it as a courtesy (for a price of course) and bury it behind a blank plate. This is assuming your an EC and not a low volt contractor.

Now I have to disclaim that in this part of the world fiber is what we use to connect our DVD player to our receiver and not much more. I would love to hear what its being used for elsewhere.

M
I'm an everything contractor- HV, Lighting Control, LV, AV, Sound...can't be too picky these days and it's really easier on a residential job if you can get all the LV going too

Most homes we do the Cat 5e, RG6, Phone, Etc. But, a lot of times we'll get somebody that has future plans for a flatscreen over the fireplace with equipment elsewhere (50+ feet from the flatscreen). There are now solutions to use Cat 5e to send HD video (1080p) to the flatscreen, but they are limited in range and really max out Cat 5e's capacity, especially with the future plans of 2k video at home (2000 Horizontal lines). So we will suggest 10 Gigabit Laser optimized fiber as a "future proof"solution that can also work with current technology. I always run it in flex or smurf so that even that can be pulled out and used for other things. A lot of times we use it for running to a BBQ gazebo or similar for a TV out there too. Given the distances, fiber is the only option to get full HD out there.

I have a few customers that are going to want this built out soon, and am wondering what our options are to terminate this stuff. I've heard there are "contractor friendly" setups where each connector costs more but you can use a simple crimper without the need for $1500 in tools.

For an idea of how you send video etc: http://www.commspecial.com/product/product_list.php?cat=Fiberlink

gfretwell, in CA at least, the telco doesn't care what you do past the demarc point (at least in residential and small to medium commercial). If it's a problem on your side, you have to arrange to fix it. They also offer some over-priced insurance and service plan that makes it their problem.

Chico C10, are you in Chico, CA? I used to live/work there.

Mike

RH1 Offline
You can buy fiber optic pre-connectorized pigtails and mate them to the fiber with a mechanical splice. You'll need a splice enclosure. If you're running new fiber within a premises you can order pre connectorized fiber and pull it in. I do this all the time.

Link Copied to Clipboard