ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#188205 07/25/09 01:36 AM
Niko Offline OP
what are your thoughts on this? Do you think it will be a hit? It does not smell like like a snake oil to me.

http://www.witricity.com/

We have that happening everyday in transformers. And even though there are no solid proofs that the magnetic fields of transmission lines cause cancer, how will the effect be with the magnetic field between two points??

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

G
Tesla had this idea but he could never really make it work. On a small scale it works (radio broad casts) but you run into problems when you ramp up the power. To start with I don't believe you won't be doing this at 50-60hz. I also wonder how you keep from collecting energy where you don't want it.

Greg Fretwell
N
Lots of people are convinced that cell phones and powerlines cause cancer or other problems. Can you imagine the uproar if we started delivering actual useful amounts of raw power via electromagnetic radiation, where negative bioeffects might be a real possibility?

I first I thought this would put us out of business but then I relized , it still needs to be wired and managed. Probably with more service issues than ever:)

Obsaleet

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
S
It's too lossy to be more than a niche. It would be nice to be able to transfer small amounts of power wirelessly- like to power clocks without a cord or to charge cell phones while still in your pocket, etc. But because everything remotely conductive will have current induced upon it, the losses are enormous.

Not to mention the transmitters are giant inductors that must be MUCH larger than the loads they serve (inverse square law), and will end up creating terrible power factor problems if widely fielded.

Link Copied to Clipboard