ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#188183 07/24/09 03:32 AM
N
NORCAL Offline OP
Check out this thread at a forum where I was reading...

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16546

Some folks are too clever for their own good.

G
It is probably no surprise that most "hurricane deaths" happen after the storm and generators are a big part of the problem. If it isn't outright electrocution from jerry rigged connections it is carbon monoxide poisoning.

Greg Fretwell
"Connect two drier cords together."

Darwin Award Gold Medal contender, 2009. crazy

Wood work but can't!
Pull a meter around here, and you'll have a storm of @#$% to deal with... That said, I still have a bunch of authentic PoCo seals (Grandfather was a lineman) so I could probably cover my tracks if I absolutely needed to, but except for emergencies I don't go anywhere near seals. They are there for a legitimate (safety and security) reason and should not be breached by anyone but PoCo personnel.

Did I understand one of the posters correctly, who claims he uses #10 wire to jumper the connections before having a meter installed? Sounds like a Darwin-Award hopeful!

If you trawl the net looking for info on any subject, you inevitable stumble onto blog sites or forums inhabited by boneheads with less than three working brain cells. The sheer ignorance of some of these dullards can be a sourse of endless amusement to anyone faintly versed in anything technical.

[ Examples: On a topic of a steam powered 1933 Boeing biplane: Oblivious to the fact that the plane was scrapped 75 years ago, some berk suggests fitting wing mirrors to solar power the boiler! A Glasgow moron asks for advice after pouring lard into his diesel-engined car's tank. A fellow cretin suggests adding acetone to dissolve the solid fat which has entirely clogged up the fuel line, filters and pump! laugh ]

'Mr. Supply-the-Entire-Neighborhood-with-a-Massive-2000 Watts' hasn't worked out yet that if he succesfully implements his cunning plan, just who will be paying for the generator, the gasoline and the lawyers representing the poco and the families of the victims.

Wood work but can't!
N
From the link:

I would like to build a giant plug that would plug into the meter socket. That would make sure no power came from the electric co. and it would fit anywhere. I would need it to be waterproof or have a water proof cover.

Such a thing (with an automatic transfer switch built-in) already exists:

http://www.generlink.com/documents/Generlink%20-%20Your%20Path%20to%20Power.pdf

Anyone out there installed one of these yet?

G
Load management will certainly become an issue fast with this gizmo.

Greg Fretwell
L
Yes it would.That looks like 20A cord.
where/how does the isolation from the poco take place?

G
I assume there is a transfer device in that adapter. That sure must be a compact 200a DPDT switch. I wonder how the PoCos feel about it.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard