ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
At my local CVS their ice machine is outside by the door. No GFCI on the outlet I guess (didn't test it) but what caught my eye was this 'repair' of a piece of broken PVC conduit. Doubt it is 'water tight.' smile

Attached Images
IMG_0002.jpg
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

HAHA, nice, it looks kind offset, was there some kind of pull box there before the duct tape took over??

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
B
The power was from above, and there was a box that the line came out of. I reported this to property maintenance which flagged it as 'low priority.' smile

Looks like the CVS by Five Points, usually after they do their weekly repair of their brick wall car damage.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
B
I think EMT or rigid would have been a better choice. Here you can see the carts and cars run straight into the PVC conduit. You can see the broken splice right above where the cart is leaning on the conduit. PVC is ok, but not in an application like this.

[Linked Image from stevelutzphoto.smugmug.com]

Cat Servant
This illustrates one of the 'unenforceable' parts of the NEC.

110.3(A)(1) states that in judging an installation, 'suitavility' shall be considered. Too often, this is limited to looking for a UL lable. That's a mistake, in part because (2) goes on to address the 'adequacy' of the protection. (8), at the end of 110.3, even has a 'catch-all' provision allowing for the consideration of 'other factors.'

110.12(B) addresses the integrety of equipment, saying that there shall be no damaged parts that may affect safe operation.

The second part of the puzzle was that inspections happen only in response to a permit at the time of installation. There seems to be no provision for anyone to act afterwards - even when the failings are not only obvious, they are in a public place (and thus there is no expectation of privacy).

Were I to be asked to repair such an installation, I would consider it a requirement to take the impact of shopping carts into account with my repair. If that meant adding a guard, additional supports, or even changing the wiring method, I would do so. Simply replacing one failed system with another inadequate one does not, IMO, meet your code obligations.

B
This installation has multiple issues. The receptacle with no cover, being another. I doubt they got a permit for this. I can't see this passing an inspection.

[Linked Image from stevelutzphoto.smugmug.com]

At least they used tapcons.

~Matt

I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.
Weatherproof while in use covers (bubble covers) have mixed survival rates. I would have an issue with the one in the pic, as to it's orientation,

That said, once an inspection is completed and approved, I have no 'legal' jurisdiction. The issue falls under 'property maintenance' in a lot of localities. However, situations similar to the pic result in a phone call to the uniformed fire dept inspector, as he/she can write it up as a safety item, and also write $$$ violations if it is ignored.

John
M
Re the outlet, a bubble cover would have broken just as fast as the PVC flip lid cover that they used. A better solution is to hide the plug behind the machine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard