ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
cgw Offline OP
I need to make a pedestal for a small meter and panelboard. It will be permanent (at a park). I was thinking of two 2-1/2" galvanized angles in holes (in the ground with concrete) and galvanized kindorf between them.
What would you do?

G
They make a concrete post with a flanged top for trailer services that might just do the trick

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Do you mean like this?:

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

In place of that small panel, look at whay they call an "all in one."

Another good choice is to purchase a pre-made pedestal; you might even save some money.

Anyway, the pressure-treated post gets set 3ft. down, and a little concrete doesn't hurt. A larger panel would probably benefit from a bacjing board. make sure all holes are plugged, and that you maintain the space between the post and the panel.

You need to pipe to a spot under the trailer and set a junction box; make sure the trailer cable can reach! The pipe needs to be 24" down - there's an additional HUD standard, in addition to the NEC.

What size service? Look for the nametag on the trailer. Treat the trailer as if it were a big toaster - not like it were a home.

You also need a ground rod. If your trench is 30" deep, you can lay the rod in the trench.

C
cgw Offline OP
It is an 100 amp service for a park (a town park).

W
Midwest (midwestelectric.com) has a combination meter chanel / panel that would work. Look at Products / Service Entrance.
There is a photo of what would do the trick.

J
Keep in mind the pedestal is a structure, and all subsequent panels will be sub panels and addressed as sub panels.

A 4X4 treated post is what I would use for a small one. Two 4x4's with a back board for bigger panels.

G
Get a little farther south and we say 6x6 .80 PT or that concrete deal I was talking about. (bugs eat'um)
The concrete posts look like a McDonalds coffee stirrer on top. It is a flat surface about 24x18 cast on the end of a 4x4 concrete pole. They put an "all in one" up on one of those for a trailer disco.
Maybe that is just a Florida thing.

Greg Fretwell
Z
I use metered pedestals. Pacific Utility Products has the USP16-M2100 that has a covered meter and a 12 space panel integrated. You set them on a concrete footer, so there's no need for sticks and exposed conduit, etc. They come in either painted or stainless steel and look 10X better than a 4X4 with a box stuck to it.

If it's a permanent installation, why not do it right?

Link Copied to Clipboard