ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#188011 07/17/09 09:58 AM
M
Hi there. I was wondering what the residential guys use for closet lighting besides potlights. What are other approved luminairs for a clothes closet??

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
C
I've never installed one, but rule 30-204 states:

(1)Every luminaire installed in a clothes closet shall be located on the ceiling or on the front wall above the door of the closet .......etc
(2)Lampholders and luminaires or the pendant or suspended type, and lampholders and luminaires of the bare lamp type shall not be installed in clothes closets.

I believe they are usually some type of sealed/covered fixture to minimize the fire hazard. (with so many combustable objects crammed in a closet.)

canuck #188038 07/17/09 11:39 PM
J
i have used a compact fluorescent fixtures that i get from Torbram in Nanaimo and they work well and are made for clothes closets.The fixture has a clear cover that is screwed
on to the base.I'll try and find the manufactures name.

S
We commonly use the "marine" fixtures - they look decent (even though you don't really see them in the closet) and they are cheap.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Sixer #188051 07/19/09 06:56 PM
B
Basically, any fixed luminaire is approved for a closet as long as it has a guard in place to prevent anything from coming into contact with a hot bulb and starting a fire.
Even a keyless fixture with the wire or plastic cage around it will work.

Bruce

brsele #188067 07/20/09 02:56 PM
M
Don't install a keyless fixture with a wire guard in Victoria as it will not keep hot metal filaments from falling on combustible material in closets should a bulb break. Don't locate pot lights over shelves either. We don't accept the wire guard as enough protection for the bulb. or the clothes stored there. A wire guard may not prevent the clothes from contacting the bulb either.

Last edited by mikesh; 07/20/09 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling
mikesh #188071 07/20/09 09:26 PM
B
So you don't allow pot lights or keyless fixtures.
I guess that you could always put a candle in there.

brsele #188096 07/21/09 03:01 PM
M
Pot lights offer protection a wire guard cannot but if the pots are located above a shelf we would require a covered trim like for a shower without the gasket. Wire guards are not considered adequate as they don't contain the hot metal ejected from a burning bulb if it is shattered. It also doesn't prevent clothing from contacting the bulb.
A fluorescent fixture is also not usable if the only protection for the bulb is a wire guard. Add a low temperature sleeve and a wire guard then you are good to go with a fluorescent strip.
Most closet fixtures here tend to be the cheap marine fixtures, Rab Jam jars, flush fixtures with a glass shade but no keyless or pendants with or without a cage.

Link Copied to Clipboard