ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#180 12/18/00 12:27 PM
D
dugmaze Offline OP
Hello everyone. My first time here and wanted to say HI. [Linked Image]

Q: I work maintenance in an industrial plant in Illinois. Should I get a state license? If so, what are some of the pros and cons? How often do you renew?

I've searched for two days straight on this subject and can't find one solid site. If anyone knows of any information, I thank you in advance.

#181 12/18/00 01:03 PM
DUG,
Hello Right Back At Ya! [Linked Image]

It's funny, because I was just thinking of Licensing and was looking specifically at Illinois!! [Linked Image]

For some reason it seems that only Roofing Contractors need a License in your state???
Could this be right? [Linked Image] [Linked Image] I've got another 2 threads going on the subject also. I hope to get some input.

My source of info can be found on this page:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/StateLicensing.htm
Select your state and then "more info"

Bill
#182 12/18/00 02:27 PM
R
Bill,
Plumbers and roofers need license's in Illinois, but there is no state wide electrical license. Many municipalities require a license. Some have tests and others you just pay the fee. Illinois law says that if you have a license in one municipality all other municipalties must accept it. We have been working for a number of years to get a state license, but have had very little success.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
#183 12/18/00 02:36 PM
D
dugmaze Offline OP
it's time consuming trying to search through all of Illinois' web pages. Maybe that's why my taxes are so high.LOL.

I think I might actually get up, go and call city hall to find out something. Whatever I find, I will post.

#184 12/18/00 02:38 PM
D
dugmaze Offline OP
thanks Don.

#185 12/18/00 04:08 PM
Don,

Thanks for the input on that. The Internet is a great place to find information, but it's not all there yet!

So, are you saying that there is an Electrical License needed but it is only issued at the local level or by permit on a case by case basis? What do you mean by pay the fee?

In our area a Homeowner can do (some of)their own wiring in their primary residence. Some areas might require they take a competancy exam. Other work (for Hire) can only be done by a Licensed & Insured Electrician. My county has an application approval process and both a written and practical (hands on) exam. The process of getting a License could take 6 months or more.

Bill
#186 12/18/00 05:34 PM
R
Bill,
You only need a license if the area you are working in requires one. Not all areas have adopted an electrical code and the ones that haven't don't require any type of license. Some cities will issue the license to anyone who wants one and pays the required fee. The fee is the only requirement that must be met in these cases to get the license. Others like where I'm at have a test that you must pass and then you pay the fee to get the license. Our test is short and not very comprehensive, other cities have extensive tests. Codes vary wildly from no codes in some areas to areas in the Chicago area that require all projects, including homes, to be in metallic conduit.
In the town I'm in a home owner can do the work in the house that he/she lives in and no where else. The rules is written in such a manner to say that the home owner can not even have a friend help out unless that friend has a license, but this it not often enforced. Most small projects are done without permits and never inspected.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
#187 12/18/00 07:42 PM
S
Negros get more when they bitch!

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 02-27-2005).]

#188 12/22/00 09:53 PM
D
doc Offline
Well let me jump in here I am a maintenance supervisor and am self taught with most of the electrical that I do ,I have not gone for a lisc. for a couple of reasons one which is the liability involved when you pass the test. To me once you have that lisc. then you are held more accountable with insurance companies,law enforcement and even the company you work for.The second is every one that needs wiring done will come to you and with out the lisc. you can get out of doing work by friends and family .
Yes I do the work to the best of my ability and find it rare that a maintenance person would even consider getting a lisc. so you are to be COMMENDED for thinking about it,because believe me I have come in behind a lots of maint people that had no idea of what they were doing and did not care just get it wired,ok so I am running amuck here will hush, BUT BY YOUR QUESTION IT LEADS ME TO BELIEVE that you are giving it your best in the maint. field

MAY THE SUN SHINE ON YOUR FACE IN THE MORNING AND YOU AWAKE WITH A SMILE
#189 12/23/00 12:33 PM
DUG, Doc,

I can understand where you both are coming from. I was from a similar background and went to licensing as a way out. Unfortunately, a person in your position does not always have complete control over how something is done or what materials are used. It can be very frustrating. The more you learn, the more frustrated you get. But don't give up trying your best to do it right and change what you can!

Hang in there and Happy Holidays! [Linked Image]

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard